Dealing with hard lumps of soil

• 17 Replies

wendyg

Dealing with hard lumps of soil
« on: April 08, 2013, 22:10 »
I have rough dug the plot and am in the process of breaking down the large lumps with my Mantis tiller.  Whilst some of the soil is becoming a bit finer there are still a lot of grapefruit size hard lumps which will not break down no matter how many times I go over them.  The soil is on the clay side  and was very heavy and claggy when wet, now it has dried out and the lumps are as hard as concrete.  What is the best way to tackle these lumps?  My neighbour on one side has used a tiller (his wife's) on his hand-dug soil and it is lovely and fine, ready for sowing.  Mine is still too coarse for sowing, any ideas on how to tackle this would be most welcome.

Wendy
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

Totty

Re: Dealing with hard lumps of soil
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 22:21 »
The quickest way, if you just have a mantis at your disposal is to rake the ground and pull the very large clumps to the edge. Continue to till as deep as you can and raking the large clumps.to the edge. These will need to be broken up with a fork by hand. Incorporate as much composted material into the soil as you can get your hands on while tilling.

Totty

shed head

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 22:21 »
I have the same problem Wendy...
Was thinking of getting one of those wolf tillers
Anybody here used one?

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 22:29 »
With a heavy clay soil get the compost/wood ash or if you have any charcoal makers localy the finnings in to the ground  those large lumps will break down well in the frosts so if you can get around the problem this year and dig in the late summer working again in compost etc you will have a very fine tilth
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Stree

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 23:07 »
If they are dry and rock hard put them in a sack and  drive over them a few times.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 23:28 »
Learn to work with the soil. You will win nothing by fighting it.

You have broken it down and the lumps are dry. When it rains these will crack as it starts to dry again. Never go on to the soil or cultivate it when it is wet.

Always start in the surface layer and gradually work deeper. If you pull lumps up from underneath they will need breaking down. Most crops need sowing less than an inch deep.

Your smarty pants neighbour no doubt dug his plot in the Autumn and the frosts have broken it down. Even so he has probably been very careful not to try cultivating until it starts to dry out.

al78

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 23:50 »
You could try digging a small trench, filling it with compost and sowing into the compost.

wendyg

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 08:38 »
Thank you for your replies.  I have had this problem before and ended up raking them up to the side and then using the larger lumps for weighing down fleece and netting, useful but a bit unsightly.

Wendy

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 19:23 »
Don't take this the wrong way but have you got the tines on your Mantis on the right way round?  One way just weeds the other breaks down the lumps.  I have a heavy clay soil and even the hardest lumps that I can't break down seem to "give up" using my Mantis - pull it backwards over the soil rather than let it go forwards.

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 20:05 »
 I damp the hard lumps with water to soffen the break them up with the back of the rake, works for me everytime.

taytors

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 20:18 »
Ive got heavy clay,the frost as broke the top (about a inch down)but underneath is
big thick moist lumps. :(
Ive just learnt to live with it and still get some good crops.
Saying that i do give lumps a whack with the hoe(feels good) :) :)
scrumpy is organic and one of your five a day.

wendyg

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 21:06 »
Hi mikem I have checked the tines and they are in the correct position for tilling, but thanks for reminding me to check as last year I had to remove them for cleaning.  I have been down to the plot and and gone over the beds a second time with the tiller and it is looking better.  There are still some unyielding tennis ball-sized and smaller lumps but I have raked these to the side and the soil left is not too bad.  I will dampen the lumps and give them a bash with the hoe, at least now I can plant the onions,shallots,garlic and spuds, a bit late but hopefully they will catch up.

Wendy

grendel

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 22:22 »
my 45 year old rotovator can handle clods like that, what it didnt like was the 3" flint that jammed it the other day, though it did crack a lump off the flint.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

snow white

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 09:20 »
Water them if possible.  I had exactly the same problem.  Rough dug one week then tried to break it down but it had dried too hard.  Watering them well, will help break them up.  Or wait for rain.  I intend to water as I need to get my onion sets in now.  :D

shed head

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 19:54 »
Beaten a couple of beds with the back of a fork and got most the big lumps out, still a bit like Brighton beach though.
Any tips about what will grow best in this type of soil?, and whats best to avoid? apart from spuds
Thanks

xx
Hard soil

Started by annieanne49 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2016, 17:12
by Headgardener22
xx
earthing up potatoes when soil is hard

Started by MarkG on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 17:46
by Teen76
xx
Heavy clay soil that is rock hard!

Started by kennethc on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 11:57
by Goosegirl
xx
whats best for clay/rock hard soil over winter

Started by newatthis on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 21:27
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 36 queries.