Frogspawn in my Run

• 5 Replies

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
Frogspawn in my Run
« on: April 05, 2013, 16:51 »
Went outside to feed my chooks, there was frogspawn in the run. I think it's just been laid, but I cannot find the mother anyway. Should i remove it and put it in the bin? Or a bucket to wait for the mother to come back? Is it harmful to my chooks, or will they eat it?
1 Leghorn Cockerel, 2 Warrens, 4 Lemon Goldfish and 1 Jack Russell, One Big Party!!!!!! :D :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Frogspawn in my Run
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 18:21 »
they love to eat frogs with no adverse effects so either scoop it up and put it into a pond or let you chickens eat it - the female frog won't come back for it - tadpoles have to look after themselves
Staffies are softer than you think.

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 18:28 »
joyfull is spot on. My fish ponds are both full of frog and toad spawn and my ducks will no doubt have ambushed any frog that crossed their run to get to the fish ponds and any froglets that try to go out that way when big enough. My ducks never touch the toads though.
I don't doubt the ducks would eat any spawn they could get but the duck pond never seems to get any in it anyway.
R

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 20:09 »
It won't be fertilised if it has been laid out of the pond, so bin it unless you have fish in the pond that would eat it.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 20:43 »
Thanks. What a shame.

Why would the frog lay the frogspawn out of the pond though?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 22:31 »
Sometimes the male grasps on to the female before she gets to the pond and this can result in her releasing some of her eggs.  Don't worry she will have plenty left for laying in the pond.   ;)

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 29 queries.