Help:blood from chicks bottom

• 11 Replies

lynnsb

Help:blood from chicks bottom
« on: April 04, 2013, 14:40 »
One of my chickens has a blooming bottom. A couple of days ago she layed an egg on the patio in 3 stages-first the white came, then a perfectly formed yellow yolk, and then a screwed up shell appeared. Today she is stood off all by herself and there is blood around her back end. I have sat her in a warm bath and had a feel around. I cannot see that there is anything sticking out, but just inside the back end is all blooming as if some of her insides are coming out. Anybody any ideas. I have had them now coming up to 3 years-dont know the make, but they are what I would call your everyday brown chicken.

Any info appreciated.

Lynn

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
Re: Help:blood from chicks bottom
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 18:41 »
I think a trip to the vets will be required, though I wouldn't hold out much hope. 

If she were mine I would dispatch her at home rather than let her suffer, but if you can't face that or she is a cherished pet you could try a chicken friendly vet.

Commercial hybrids are bred to give optimum laying performance in their first couple of years, and often they just "lay themselves out" which is sad, but one of the problems of having a chicken which will lay nearly an egg a day over its first laying cycle.
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 19:51 »
It sounds as if she may have a prolapse.  You have done the right thing with the warm bath and checking nothing is hanging out.  Some people have sucessfully used hemorrhoid cream to shrink the prolapse or even sugar.  Make sure your other hens can not attack her as they will be attracted by the blood.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

lynnsb

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 19:54 »
Yes thanks for that. I took one to the vets last year with peritonitus and ended up having her put down which cost £60 altogether. I couldnt do it myself, but my son said he will do it-I will just have to make sure I am out of the way. Which is the easiest way to dispatch them-twist of neck or chopper-I dont even like to think of either.

lynnsb

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 19:58 »
sorry anhbc I was obviously typing at same time as you. I had a feel around and couldnt find anything sticking out-I would have thought if it was a prolapse it would be stuck out-Is that not the case? I have seperated her from the other 2 because they did keep trying to have a nibble-horrible things

lynnsb

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 20:00 »
i have just noticed my first post has been changed. I put blood y bottom but it has changed to blooming bottom. why is that?

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 20:08 »
I don't think they always have the prolapse protruding but I may be wrong.

It could be that she has cut her insides on the broken shell.  If you don't want to dispatch her keep an eye on her over the next day or so as long as she is not suffering.

The easiest way to dispatch if you are not used to it would be by holding the chicken by both legs, laying the chickens head on the floor, placing a broomshaft across the back of the neck.  Put your feet either side of the broom to secure the neck and pull upwards sharply to dislocate the neck.  If you pull too hard the head detaches and can be really messy so make sure you are dressed appropriately and putting a bin liner down before you start is also a good idea.  I think there are videos online for you to view to give you a better idea of what is involved.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

wilbzfishing

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 22:42 »
I had one with a prolapse last year, the vet sorted it out cost me about £16 she is still with us now doesn't lay very often a couple of times a week

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 08:13 »
You could try bathing her bottom in salt water to help keep it clean. She really needs to be removed from the other hens as they will be very interested in this red area and could damage her very badly. If it is an internal cut from the shell and there is no infection she may recover. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 10:17 »
however it may be worth getting her some more antibiotics in case an infection has already set in - the quicker any infection is caught the better. Try to disguise her redness with purple spray or keep her out of the way of the others other wise they will peck her to death.
The computer system automatically changes any words that are thought rude or naughty because we ave sall children on here hence your blood y becoming blooming  :) must of thought she was a flower  ::)
Staffies are softer than you think.

lynnsb

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 21:52 »
Thanks for all the replies and info. She wasnt any better and as the egg laying seems to have just about finished and it is difficult to keep them seperate thought it better to dispatch-put her out of her misery cos she obviously wasn't feeling well-looked very sad. Only 2 left now. started with 4 nearly 3 years ago, so had a good run with them.

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 21:57 »
So sorry for your loss lynnsb, I am sure she had a great life with you. Best not to have them suffering so well done for being brave enough to not let her suffer.   

xx
chicks with blood in poo - help!

Started by ajkula77 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 18:46
by animal mad
xx
slight blood in POL chicks droppings

Started by jellywobble on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 06, 2012, 22:21
by ANHBUC
xx
bald bottom

Started by corinnestaples on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 18:34
by bantam novice
xx
hen with hole in bottom

Started by andreadon on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 01, 2019, 21:17
by andreadon

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 37 queries.