Apprehensive

• 2 Replies

smiler43

• Experienced Member
Apprehensive
« on: April 03, 2013, 19:55 »
Having lost my chooks and having a red mite problem last year I'm a little apprehensive to start up again.  I always used diatom regularly and having never seen red mites before I didn't spot them, they are so small the little blighters.

Those pics are very good.  Mine hadn't fed as were grey, just like moving dust.  Make me itch just thinking about it!! We treated the coop and run but I have a fear that they may still be lurking waiting for me to get some new chooks!! 

I have been looking at plastic housing but do they have condensation problems?  I know they aren't mite proof but presume they will be a lot easier to clean/treat. The house would be in the large run which is roofed to protected from the harsh sunlight.  Any advice?  Current house, should I burn it just incase?   

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Apprehensive
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 20:40 »
I have had eglus in the past and they are brilliant for 2 or 3 large fowl or up to 4 bantams and they are brilliant.
Now I have too many hens for eglus I have 2 large solway arks and neither of the plastic houses that I have had have never suffered with condensation.
You can still get redmites in them but they are far easier to eradicate with a plastic house  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

themagicaltoad1

Re: Apprehensive
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 20:47 »
If you have a wooden coop make sure there is not roofing felt on it as they love to hide under there. Personally I've been lucky so far (fingers crossed) and not had to deal with them, but I did read somewhere that they can live for many months without feeding, so if you have any lurking in your old coop they will start on your new hens.

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 31 queries.