sarama chick,

• 2 Replies

peggygate

sarama chick,
« on: April 02, 2013, 10:32 »
hi,  just went in my henhouse to feed the little darlings, to be greeted with a chick, it wasnt there yesterday, the hen was sitting in a very tight corner, and i had a better look, only to find another 6 eggs she is sitting on,,  this is all new to me, sssoooo, wot do i do now  HELP !!!!!!   they r in with 2 other hens and 2 cockrels, they have always been together, so will the other hens harm the chicks,   should i put the hen, chick and other eggs in a seperate pen, or will they be ok   another question,  will the hen feed the chicks or do i buy seperate food for them,  Help again,  thankyou  peggygate ??? ??? ???

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: sarama chick,
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:36 »
Hi peggygate, your chick can survive for up to 48 hours after hatching without food as it absorbs the egg sack.  It will need chick crumb which the broody can also eat.  Hopefully the rest of the chicks will be hatched now, if not leave her sitting.  Make sure she has access to food and water.  Once they are hatched it is best to have them and mum on their own as they have different feed.  Mum will defend the chicks but this can't be guaranteed so best to be on the safe side.  A rabbit hutch makes a good broody pen for their first weeks. 

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: sarama chick,
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 15:31 »
I have just removed your duplicate post as this one has been answered  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
broody sarama

Started by peggygate on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2013, 12:35
by joyfull
xx
sarama food

1 Replies
Last post October 04, 2012, 20:42
by joyfull
xx
sarama chickens

1 Replies
Last post September 23, 2012, 14:08
by joyfull
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 37 queries.