bedding and ventilation

• 9 Replies

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
bedding and ventilation
« on: December 10, 2007, 17:25 »
hello everyone

need some advice please

I put wood shavings on the bottom of the coop not too thick and hay in the nest boxes, they seem happy enough and it is quite quick and easy to clean, my friend who is going to look after the hens while we are away for Christmas has today covered the bottom of the coop in thick layers of hay she says to keep them warm overnite also she wants to cover up the ventilation holes that are on the side of the coop I have said no we cannot do that as they do need ventilation, not too sure either if that is way too much hay and that they will be ok with just wood shavings and hay in the nest boxes

any comments would be appreciated so I can give her the correct advise
before we go away in 2 weeks time

pauline
pauline

scara

bedding and ventilation
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 17:33 »
Hi

I am only a newbie to this chicken keeping lark, but firstly I dont use hay only good straw in the nesting boxes and also on top of the dust free shavings in the rest of the coop, and secondly they will as you say need ventilation, it is my understanding that as long as there are no draughts coming through the ventilation holes then they are Ok. I hope this helps

Selkie

bedding and ventilation
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 17:36 »
i'm pretty new to keeping hens too but i definately wouldn't block the ventilation holes.

we use straw throughout our little henhouse; we can't get dust free wood shavings only very fine ones which i thought would be too easy for them to inhale - so it's just straw for us :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
bedding and ventilation
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 17:44 »
You MUST leave the ventillation holes  :!:

I have always believed too that you should not give hay to hens because if they eat it (which they may) it can cause an impacted crop.  So only use straw.

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
bedding and ventilation
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 17:59 »
hi

thanks for the advice I will replace the hay with straw and impart your words of wisdom

Pauline

Bodger

bedding and ventilation
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 19:52 »
Direct your mate towards these hallowed halls, she needs help  :lol:  Our Sally is spot on. :lol:

chickenjohnok

bedding and ventilation
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 21:42 »
Tell your friend to todel off  :oops: keep all the ventilation holes open and straw and shavings on the floor and in the nest boxes. And once a day if you feed pellets, throw a handful of corn on the floor , that way the chicks will scratch it up and turn it over and in 6 months time you will have excellent fertiliser for the garden and eggs :wink:

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
bedding and ventilation
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 22:17 »
hi

I have told her all about the info on this site and what everyone has said and she will now do things the correct way so thankyou for your help.

:D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
bedding and ventilation
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 23:15 »
Quote from: "chelseablue"
hi

I have told her all about the info on this site and what everyone has said and she will now do things the correct way so thankyou for your help.

:D

But you knew the answers already Pauline  :D

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
bedding and ventilation
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 07:09 »
hi aunty

yes I did but she is one of these peeps that sometimes thinks she knows best (without being horrible she is a good friend) so I just wanted to bolster my advise to her with the help of this site, its better hearing it from lots of people, we are away for 6 days for Christmas and didnt want her doing things she shouldnt!!! :(

thanks  :D  :D  :D

oh and worming has gone well, grapes worked a treat they also love the end of a cauliflower  :D

xx
Ventilation

Started by Aidy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2010, 21:09
by Rubellite
xx
Ventilation

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 13:01
by Bubbles
xx
ventilation

Started by sprinter on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 09:20
by Selkie
xx
is this enough ventilation

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 23:34
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 36 queries.