Composting Query

• 7 Replies

Fifi

Composting Query
« on: April 01, 2013, 18:35 »
Hi :D Today I received a small green composting bin and a worktop caddy from the council. They want us to use them so we can help them save money......the fact that they've spent at least 2 Bank Holidays paying employees to deliver them makes me laugh at their money saving tactics!!!
Anyhow, they've sent us an instruction leaflet as to what we can include in the compostable waste......they say we can put in all the usual stuff (veg peelings, eggs shells, fruit waste, flowers....all the stuff I already put on my compost piles at the allotment), but then they also say to include cooked food, meats, fish and dairy. I was always led to believe that these were a total no-no. The council state very clearly that they will turn all this waste into compost. Can anyone confirm (or not) that I'm right please?

PS.....I've already decided that the cute green bin will make an ideal chicken pellet container :tongue2:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 18:37 by Fifi »

snowdrops

Re: Composting Query
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 18:54 »
Is it a green johanna bin, has it got a base that is sealed? I have a green johanna that instructs you to put it in the shade & put cooked waste,bones,meat etc in along with all the usual compostable waste. I set it going last March 31st. I just wish I had bought 2 when they were on special offer via the council as it is now full & needs to complete the composting process. I could undo the doors at the base & pull out the composted stuff but would prefer to empty in it's entirety.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

devon

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 19:09 »
The councils here Devon heat treat thier compost so putting in cooked meats etc are ok. Not so with allotment compost most people dont reach high enough temps. So said a council employee

Fifi

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 19:21 »
Is it a green johanna bin, has it got a base that is sealed? I have a green johanna that instructs you to put it in the shade & put cooked waste,bones,meat etc in along with all the usual compostable waste. I set it going last March 31st. I just wish I had bought 2 when they were on special offer via the council as it is now full & needs to complete the composting process. I could undo the doors at the base & pull out the composted stuff but would prefer to empty in it's entirety.

Hi, it's a little bin that they come and empty twice a month :)

Fifi

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 19:22 »
The councils here Devon heat treat thier compost so putting in cooked meats etc are ok. Not so with allotment compost most people dont reach high enough temps. So said a council employee

Thanks for that :D

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 19:37 »
yes just put in any food scraps etc for the council to compost as they get far higher temperatures than you can get If you want to compost this on a veggi plot then it needs to be burried deep or in a sealed rat proof container  and is not worth the effort .
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 19:43 »
I thought it strange that they expected you to do it at home. I think the others have answered your original question for you :happy:

Sandpit

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 21:49 »
Chances are that your council is collecting food waste to produce electricity, the compost produced is normally a by product. Although the facilities are normally operated by private companies.

Assuming this is the case they can normally even take bones as it all gets shredded before being sealed in a 'compost bin' this produces a useable gas for combustion...

I could bore you to death with the details...

xx
N.P.K query

Started by Nick36 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 13:57
by Snoop
xx
Tomato query

Started by Vivian on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 13:30
by lovemyveg
clip
Sweetcorn query

Started by Benallen2000 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2021, 10:16
by lettice
xx
potato query

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2014, 12:03
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 36 queries.