Strawberries again

• 2 Replies

Azazello

• Experienced Member
Strawberries again
« on: April 01, 2013, 14:28 »
I've got 60 Elsanta runners in now and a dozen Tenira on order from Ken Muir and am wondering how many will produce a good first year crop?

We all love strawberries in my family and I would love to make loads of jam - I'm not short of growing space, so would another 30 or so be excessive do you think?

How many do you all have?

BabbyAnn

Re: Strawberries again
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 15:03 »
Depending on the age and variety, some runners may not produce much of a crop in the first year (some on the other hand might so not a precise answer) but come the 2nd year you will get loads (weather permitting of course)  Remember also that birds (blackbirds in particular) LOVE ripened strawberries too, and don't forget slugs and snails so don't forget to use various barriers to prevent loss.

100 strawberry plants sounds a bit excessive but the key words I saw was jam making and lots of it, so maybe not.  Unless they are everbearers, just remember that the fruit season per variety can be short so be ready with the jam pot!

How many do I have - about 20  :lol: but different varieties to spread the season out and eaten fresh.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
Re: Strawberries again
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 17:29 »
I've got 100 Cambridge Favourite on the way (and thats just for 1 person ;) ) Well, I want to preserve a lot and share with family, but the vast majority will be for me.

xx
strawberries

Started by Jeff Glanrhyd on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 19:50
by theakston_uk
xx
Strawberries- Is this right..

Started by Shamps on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 16:04
by sclarke624
clip
Strawberries

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2014, 21:21
by Ma Lowe
xx
strawberries

Started by mower man on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 17:49
by sonnycbr

Page created in 0.736 seconds with 36 queries.