potatoes and the cold

• 29 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: potatoes and the cold
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 18:27 »
I wonder where they (TWO) get their data from.

I'll roll out my annual statement that I prefer the Met Office as that is where most of these sites take their data from.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mike0001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 18:30 »
more snow here today ( northants ) maybe try during the week .. today though it only got up to 4 degrees

if you plant in good weather and the temperature drops in next week or two what do you guys do to protect ?

allot2learn

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 18:33 »

if you plant in good weather and the temperature drops in next week or two what do you guys do to protect ?

Fleece or earth up.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 18:35 »
It's this one, Mum.................

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/uk/ol8%202xq

If you look at the temp graphs lower down it gives you the min night temp as well as the highs.

thank you .....toddles off to have a look  ;)

allot2learn

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 18:43 »
Here is the met office forecast for the period. It seems to be along the same lines.

"UK Outlook for Thursday 4 Apr 2013 to Saturday 13 Apr 2013:

Remaining generally cold, with variable, and at times large, amounts of cloud through the rest of next week onwards into the following week. Best of any sunshine initially expected over western and northwestern UK and then probably over southern areas the week after next. Meanwhile, cloud will be thick enough to produce occasional showers, some wintry, later next week onwards into the early part of the following week. Initially eastern, central and southern Britain are most at risk of showers, but with winds likely to turn northerly next weekend northern, eastern and central UK and Irish Sea coastal areas become most prone to showers. Finally, towards the end of this period, signs are emerging that this prolonged cold period may start to wane, as winds become more westerly in nature."

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 18:49 »
Here is the met office forecast for the period. It seems to be along the same lines.

That will further back up my point that these data most likely came from the Met Office. :)

allot2learn

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 19:06 »

That will further back up my point that these data most likely came from the Met Office. :)

Yes, I agree, but they tend to have slightly varying interpretations of the information. BBC weather with say one thing whist ITV another.
At the end of the day the weather is constantly evolving so it will never be accurate until someone manages to control it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 19:11 »
so you choose to believe the one that gives the interpretation you want to hear - rather than wait to see what actually happens  ::)

Good luck with that........... I think I'll wait a bit longer  ;)

allot2learn

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 19:23 »
so you choose to believe the one that gives the interpretation you want to hear - rather than wait to see what actually happens  ::)

Good luck with that........... I think I'll wait a bit longer  ;)

That is not what I said.  :nowink: The first forecast is for my local area which logically SHOULD be more accurate.
The second forecast from the met office is more regional. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 19:29 »
Hands up anyone in the UK who has had maximum air temperatures of more than 6-7C at any time in the last few weeks, bearing in mind that soil temperatures at potato planting depth will lag behind the air temperature.

Planting your spuds now won't necessarily end in disaster, but current soil conditions are far from ideal for most (today is exactly one year since I planted them last year, but I'm in no rush to plant them out now in conditions that I know won't produce any growth until it warms up.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

allot2learn

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 19:40 »
My spuds are still safely tucked up in the insulated greenhouse under a couple of layers of fleece and they're staying there as I'm unable to walk at the moment. I'm still putting the beer on ice. Can't be too careful, can we.  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 19:48 »
Hands up anyone in the UK who has had maximum air temperatures of more than 6-7C at any time in the last few weeks,

Me, me, me Miss!

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101070.msg1158016#msg1158016

but it was only 1 day, the rest have been 4-5C  ::)

noshed

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 20:01 »
Today the air temp was 6C and the soil was 3C, so I think I'll hang on for a while. They haven't sprouted much either. Yet my dahlias have.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

yaxley

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 20:11 »
Im hanging on to my spuds pointless putting them in if the soil temperture is too low for them to grow may aswell wait till it warms up ...
Grow organic as nature intended

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 20:19 »
Hands up anyone in the UK who has had maximum air temperatures of more than 6-7C at any time in the last few weeks,

Me, me, me Miss!

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101070.msg1158016#msg1158016

but it was only 1 day, the rest have been 4-5C  ::)

::) :lol: (but don't call me "Miss" - I'm confused enough as it is!)  :tongue2:

xx
cold storing potatoes

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 12:57
by A Reyt Tayty
question
When did you plant early Potatoes in containers (e.g. in Cold Greenhouse)?

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:02
by mumofstig
xx
How cold is too cold for spuds in the shed?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 21, 2022, 20:33
by Nobbie
xx
How cold is too cold?

Started by Ruth Cross on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 13:40
by paintedlady

Page created in 0.939 seconds with 39 queries.