JA harvest

• 5 Replies

paintedlady

JA harvest
« on: December 10, 2007, 10:27 »
With a combination of feeling unwell, lazyitus :oops:  and appalling weather :evil: , I've not been able to get to the allotment proper to dig up the Jerusalem Artichokes until this weekend.  I only planted 4 little tubers in spring and wasn't expecting much as the ground was horrible clay and compacted, and I just threw a bit of compost and chicken manure in the bottom of a hole for good luck and covered them up.

I'm absolutely amazed - not only did I get a one and half bucket full of tubers some of which were absolutely huge, but they really broke up the soil.  I think they did a better job than potatoes.  I'm well chuffed :D
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

gobs

JA harvest
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 10:33 »
That's how everybody starts off, the next they usually post is 'What do I do with all of them', the third is 'Help, wind damage'. :lol:  :lol:

Good luck! :D
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Selkie

JA harvest
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:33 »
:lol:

paintedlady

JA harvest
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:39 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
at least I'll be warm in bed!

WG.

JA harvest
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 11:23 »
Quote from: "gobs"
That's how everybody starts off, the next they usually post is 'What do I do with all of them', the third is 'Help, wind damage'.
The 4th is "how do I get rid of the blighters from last year's patch".  Answer: re-plant them in the same area.

paintedlady

JA harvest
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 11:32 »
I did notice that when I thought I'd dug them all up and was just loosening up the rest of the soil, up would pop another tuber, and sometimes the smaller ones seemed to break off.  Kind of reminded me of bindweed :evil: so I am well aware.  Luckily that bit of ground is unlikely to get used for anything else so no problems.

xx
Todays Harvest - my first harvest post

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 20:34
by crowndale
xx
First Harvest

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2014, 19:26
by m1ckz
xx
When to harvest...?

Started by chicken on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 19:37
by LivvyW
smiley
Pea harvest

Started by Beejay on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 15:07
by HelenK

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 35 queries.