there's a rat in the compost what am I going to do?

• 39 Replies

van connick

• Experienced Member
  • Location: on a mountainside in south Wales. north of Pontypridd, west of Merthyr Tydfil.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 06:21 »
i am thinking about trying this home made poison.......thanks for the link

darn rats are in the hay barn again, and the commercial stuff we buy, although it works, takes quite a while to have an effect, keep finding bluey/green rat poo everywhere. surely that cant be good for the birds who feed on the slugs and snails who feed on poo, can it?

the rat trap we have is a total waste of time, tried everything in it, from chocolate, to rat bait, bread, raisins, food scraps....etc...but they will eat the bait put under the hay ( hay is up on pallets ) within minutes. sat out there with the gun aswell, little blighters dont show, but when i am in the barn they will run out by my feet......clever, intelligent, whatever you want to call them......I HATE THEM and i want RID OF EM !! no matter how.

( actually i think the sound of an exploding rat, could be just as satisfying as popping bubblewrap....lol...)

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 16:12 »
Hay and rats are one of nature's natural combinations unfortunately. My sister's hay barn is completely off limits to the kids, and to grownups without workboots and heavy workclothes, because it's impossible to control the rats. Even the wild barn cats can't deal with them, they're so vicious - and smart. Studies show that if a rat finds a possibly poisoned food, it will take only a little bit and wait to see if there's a bad reaction. If nothing, it will return and finish the food. Otherwise, it looks for something else which is edible.

tallulah

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 17:53 »
I had a rat or two taking liberties in my compost bin.  They're elsewhere in the garden too, so have got an expert in to help.  He baited inside the bin, and a few days later, there was an ex-rat curled up beside the bait box.  Actually, it looked ever so cute.  I thought all the rats had been dealt with, but OH says that if you stand v still for a few minutes in the evenings, you'll start to hear the clatter and scratching of the durned critters. :shock: Guess we'll have to call the RatMan back.

johnkelly

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 12:55 »
Not got round to it yet - this time of the year is just too busy. I keep turning the compost and don't put any cooked food in so hoping this will discourage them. However I find little tunnels where they've dug through the compost overnight and the ratpoo scattered around.

I have a feeling they're living under the shed. Can't see anything but, at this time of year, it must be quite wamr and cosy under there for them. There's also a field next door which has held cattle over the summer. Maybe this attracted them in the first place. I know it's not possible to completely eradicate them but I'd like to keep them at arms length. My wife's petrified of going down there now....

An annoying thing is the person who read the meter left the door open giving access to the cavity wall. I hope nothing crept in whilst it was open for 3 days before we noticed  :(

gobs

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 13:03 »
I don't understand where this door leads to but suggest you have a good look around, however busy.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

johnkelly

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 13:22 »
Quote from: "gobs"
I don't understand where this door leads to but suggest you have a good look around, however busy.

The meter is on an outside cavity wall and all the electric cables go from the meter up to the fusebox and then around the house. I've had a look around the roof area near that and there's no signs of any intrusion. I can't hear any noises at night either and I'm a very light sleeper.

WG.

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 13:02 »
Think yourself lucky it is only a small rat : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7149569.stm :wink:

gobs

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 13:51 »
Quote from: "WG."
Think yourself lucky it is only a small rat : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7149569.stm :wink:

Oh my god!!!!! :shock: That's rats.

WG.

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 13:53 »

Do you think that would fit in Mushroom's oven then?? :wink:

gobs

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 13:57 »

Do you think that would fit in Mushroom's oven then?? :wink:

Nuts. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Please, don't tell him he must be quite stressed already.

chickenjohnok

splat the rat
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2007, 22:31 »
One way I find effective and good fun  :twisted: is to get hoid of an old small engine ie:-off a chainsaw or a strimmer, and attach a piece of pipe to the exhaust, maybe off a hoover or the like, then some tin cans with the top and bottom cut out. At one end fit a pair of ladies tights,  :oops: "one leg inside the other" over the tin can , the other end of the tin can is pushed inot the rat hole. When all the holes are coverd, leave one open. Start the engine and put the pipe into the remaining hole. Then all you need is a spade, SLAP!!!  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
         P.S. Make sure that the cans and the exhaust pipe have soil packed around them to make a good snug fit.

Selkie

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2007, 10:21 »
:?

chickenjohnok

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2007, 14:38 »
Rosemary
               Ti's the exhaust fumes that drive them out in to the traps.

Selkie

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2007, 17:18 »
I just feel kind of sorry for the poor rats though...

spinny

• http://www.perennialveg.org.uk
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2007, 22:08 »
Bread smothered in peanut butter has been effective for baiting traps here - I've had five of the little furry devils over the last six weeks!!

spinny

xx
compost

Started by bigandy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 13:50
by mumofstig
xx
B+Q compost

Started by steven c on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2022, 12:36
by Growster...
xx
can i put these in compost bin ?

Started by kiowa on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post October 07, 2007, 19:29
by mkhenry
question
Ivy in compost

Started by kennystevens on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 05:44
by oldbean

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 37 queries.