Hi, I am new

• 11 Replies

Bren200

Hi, I am new
« on: March 27, 2013, 19:32 »
Hi, I am new on here. I am very interested in keeping chicken's. I am a complete beginner so looking for any tip's. I have been reading up on coop's not sure wether to go for plastic or wooden coop's.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Hi, I am new
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 19:42 »
Depends really.
Are you going to have them in a permanent place, or do you want to move the coop/run around?
Are they going to be free range for a while in the day?
How big do you want the coop and run to be?

When we were building the coop (wooden), we were told that it needs to be big enough to hold 2 more hens than you are actually going to have so they have plenty of space to roost.
Ours is big enough for 16 so the maximum we could have is 14 - we had 12 at most at one point, now we have 11.

Oh and despite there being 3 perches to roost on, the girls have to snuggle together on the highest perch!! ::)

Bren200

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 19:46 »
Well we do want to move it about. Yes will be free to Rome for a little time. We want to keep about 4 chicken's.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 19:48 »
Also depends on how much you want to spend.

Some of these plastic Eglu type things are quite expensive. Wood would be cheaper, particularly if you can find some reclaimed wood and recycle it.
Of course you have to treat wood as well. :)

Bren200

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 20:04 »
We know plastic is expensive but it sounds better. We are looking for second hand eglu cube or classic on e-bay.

splash101

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 20:30 »
I think long term,  plastic would be better.

They are more expensive but go for a good quality one, even if it means saving up for a few more months.

Have a look on Gumtree as well as they seem to have some great bargains on there.

Things to think about as well are fox / rodent proofing, and who will look after them if you go on holiday.

My only other advice is read, read and read a bit more, ask lots of questions (no matter how silly they may be) and try and find a poultry friendly vet before you get the chickens.
The last thing you need if you have a sick chick is spending hours ringing round vets that dont do chickens.

You wont regret it  :)

Bren200

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 20:39 »
Thank you for your advise.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 06:54 »
Hello
welcome to the lovely world of owning chickens, have a look at 'solway recycling' they have some resonably priced coops, just make sure you have a large enough run if thats where they will spend alot of the time, most coops with attatched runs arn't big enough to keep them in they usually quote on how many hens for the coop not for the run. Order your flubenvet now, its the prefered wormer its easy to use and there is no egg withdrawal. let us know how you get on and also we will need pictures of the new hens!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 08:34 »
Welcome to the site Bren200.   :D

I agree you need to read up as much as you can about keeping chickens, you can never have too much knowledge.  If you are wanting 4 hens the eglu classic might be a little small for large fowl.  It would be fine for 4 bantams and you might find handling them easier.  They poo less and eggs are smaller but the yolk to egg white ratio is bigger than LF.  I started with LF and then got bantams and now my larger ladies feel like giants when I handle them.   :lol:

Definitely have as big a run as you can and if you can afford a walk in one with a roof all the better.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 10:05 »
I was a beginner 2 years ago and I did an Omlet course on a Saturday morning (there will be one near you).  It was £20 and so fun and intersting.  They show you the Omlet stuff but its not about selling to you - its all about chickens and I cameaway feeling so excited!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Bren200

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 14:29 »
Thank you all for your advise

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 22:43 »
You won't regret it - hens are so endearing.
They each have mad little characters.

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 37 queries.