One of our hens is limping???

• 10 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
One of our hens is limping???
« on: March 26, 2013, 16:25 »
My hen Anastasia to be exact.

She seems perfectly alright otherwise - we managed to catch her this morning (she's not as friendly as her sister Genevieve) and we had a good old look at her feet and legs. She certainly didn't squawk when we examined her legs which I would have thought she would if she was in pain.

Her comb and wattle look bright and healthy and she's eating just fine (other hens who have been poorly and died went all floppy around the comb and wattle and stopped eating and joining in with the others) and she's still marching about with the others, just with a bit of a limp.

We do have a very high perch (favoured by the 3 newest girls) in the middle of the run - I wonder if she's fallen of that awkwardly or something?

Just want to check with you guys that limping isn't necessarily a symptom of something ghastly! :unsure:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: One of our hens is limping???
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 17:35 »
Probably landed awkwardly from the high perch when she thought you were bringing out treats.   :blush:  Just keep an eye on her for any other symptoms over the coming days.

It might be an idea to have another perch so she can hop onto that to get to the higher one and down again without a bump.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 17:47 »
Hi!

They have a low perch near the high one too.
The highone is more part of the roof support network but the three red heads were sleeping up there when they first moved in and weren't brave enough to go indoors! :D

They leap up on anything to be the first to grab canary seed! Fannie-Annie as I call her isn't realy known to be a jumper though. She just wolfed down the corn I took in with me! :)

I think she's probably fallen off something awkwardly - but I will be on the lookout!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 17:53 »
Some of my bantams sleep in the rafters of the run.  I have a small table so they have a landing platform when coming down as they are quite clumsy sometimes.   ::)

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 18:00 »
Hens certainly be a bit daft sometimes - thats for sure!! ::) :lol:

But I love them all the same! :happy:

grinling

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 20:30 »
How long ago did the other hens die?
When did you add the new girls and did you quarantine them before adding and if so for how long? How old are the newest and the original hens?

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 22:18 »
One died May/June last year,the other 8th january this year.
All girls have been well otherwise. The first was Betty - I think she was egg bound. The one in January, Kelly was off colour for 8 days.
The 3 new girls were introduced in Sept/Oct.
There is only a 6-8 month age difference in the girls.
The first 10 had all vaccinations. Don't know about the 3 new girls - they came from the brother in law of one of my chicken chums.

They were kept aside for a week, but were never close with the original girls until late december as they were a bit mean!!

I worm them every 3-4 months with 2% Flubenvet

All are well in themselves - a few have bald bottoms! Bit of hen-pecking nonsense going on.

grinling

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 11:08 »
She might well have  landed heavily on that leg. One of mine always had a bald undercarriage. What type of hens are they?

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 13:46 »
Anastasia is supposed to be a silver sussex, but I think she's more silver sussex x black rock.
The red girls, not sure - got to be some sussex in there as Rosie has the sussex neck feather patterns
1 grey Marans, 1 Brown Lohmann, 2 black rock, 1 amber rock, 1 silver sussex, 1 columbian blacktail.

We have a couple with bald undercarriages now! The grey Marans and the amber rock are bullies :D
Genevieve (my silver sussex) - she is now the queen bee so she dishes out a bit of punishment every now and then!

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 21:54 »
A few weeks ago my Columbian Black Tail couldn't stand for very long & kept been knocked over by the others.
I kept her in a run within  the main run so she could still see the others & after 3 days she was back to normal.
I think she jumped off the roof of the coop & landed funny.
I don't have any perches higher than about 1 1/2 foot off the ground 

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 18:35 »
My chicken day again today.

Anastasia is looking better - not limping as badly so I should think it was a fall. ;)

More worried about the elderly mog now!!

xx
Limping hen

Started by violet on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 11:06
by Foxy
xx
Limping Hen

Started by stujem on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 08:31
by joyfull
xx
limping hen

Started by mias chooks on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 15:30
by Aunt Sally
xx
Limping hen

Started by Sylvester on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 23:34
by Sylvester

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 37 queries.