Incubator Review and Observations of a Novice

• 1 Replies

Glaikit Lump

Incubator Review and Observations of a Novice
« on: March 26, 2013, 15:51 »
We recently bought a Corti AF50 incubator and have just completed our first cycle of hatching. It was ordered from France because it was more cost effective and it came with a plug suitable for Bulgaria. It is a huge flipping thing, but it takes up to 49 hen's eggs in 7 rows of 7 separated by removable plastic fence thingys, and to be fair there did not seem to be any wasted space.

There is a motor that automatically turns the eggs, hence two plugs, one for the motor and one for the incubator. We also bought an egg candling torch and a hygrometer. A thermometer was included in the incubator cost, which was graded between 35.8 and 39.7 deg C. There are two water reservoirs in the incubator and to start with, we filled one then later when the humidity needed increasing filled them both. They needed topping up every day or second day. When one reservoir was used, the humidity stayed about 45% and increased to around 65% when the second reservoir was also filled on day 18 of the incubation period. Also, there was a temperature adjustment screw just above the lid allowing easy temperature adjustement

At the start of the incubation (of 21 eggs collected over 3 days), we had difficulty in regulating the temperature because even after turning the adjustment screw, the temperature was always indicating too cold. We put in a household thermometer and it suggested the temperature was too hot so we bought a medical thermometer and by good luck rather than good judgement found the temperature was about right.

On day 15 we candled the eggs and decided to scrap 6 of them which were not developing. On day 18 we removed the turning motor, filled the second reservoir and removed the plastic fence thingys then added covers to stop the chicks falling into the reservoirs below. On day 19, the first chick hatched and overnight most of the rest hatched too. 3 of the 15 remaining eggs did nothing, one chick tried to hatch and died with its beak sticking out of the shell and we helped 2 chicks struggling to hatch, but they subsequently died a couple of days later, so in the end we have 9 chicks from the 21 eggs incubated, and are in our brooder awaiting introduction to our hens in a few weeks.

While the incubator was easy to use generally, I think at the start we had problems achieving a correct temperature and it looks like we may have been supplied with a rubbish thermometer, and in hindsight we probably should have callibrated the suppled thermometer against a medical thermometer to make sure everything was going to be ok. This may have affected the number of eggs that hatched, and it makes me wonder just how accurate the hygrometer might be.

Anyway, I hope this review and observation is of interest and assists anybody thinking of bying/using an incubator. Please feel free to add your own incubator reviews below! Having gone through this exercise, I do have some questions which will be posted in due course. Finally, any suggestions as to how we might improve the hatch rate would be appreciated.

splash101

Re: Incubator Review and Observations of a Novice
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 17:40 »
I've got a Brinsea 20 fully auto.

It Holds 24 hens eggs, 30 bantam eggs and about a million quail eggs. More than enough for my needs.
I use it mainly for quail eggs and once happy with the settings, achieved a 94% hatch rate.
The quail eggs are from my own stock but i have to buy in fertile hens eggs, so i have to factor in the reliability of those. Although the last lot i bought only cost me £3.00 for 24 eggs and achieved a pretty good hatch rate.

The temperature doesnt fluctuate in mine until you take the lid off.
I think once you've got the temperature set correctly and leave it at that, providing the eggs are fertile you should get a better hatch rate.
I dont have a hygrometer. As the instructions are fool proof - fill 1 water tank for incubating and fill both tanks for hatching.

Dont remove the lid during hatching often. I leave 12 hours between each removal otherwise the humidity plummets.

I have noticed that the ventilation settings during incubation effect the hatch rate too.

I dont help chicks out of the shell. I know it sounds harsh but i have a couple of times in the past and they had so many problems i had to cull them. I like to think nature has provided them with the equipment to get out under their own steam.

xx
Observations on space

Started by Dominic on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 09:59
by Dominic
xx
Novice help please

Started by arwen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 21:59
by Lindeggs
xx
advice for novice please

Started by jaws on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 05, 2009, 09:23
by poultrygeist
xx
complete novice

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 09:25
by nerdle

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 36 queries.