Earthworms and/or tigerworms

• 9 Replies

eneville

Earthworms and/or tigerworms
« on: March 23, 2013, 18:17 »
Hi all,

I know how much our hens love to eat worms, so how can I, whilst still having two pennies to rub together deny them a favourite treat.

They've had me outside hand feeding them every worm I find, but now, it seems, the worms have dried up.

It's easy to locate tiger worms online, but would they eat them? Are tiger worms ok to feed hens? More to the point, where can I find live earthworms to put back in the soil?

Asked at a garden centre if they sell earthworms and they said "try on the internet for that", alas, I tried there many times.

Should I buy a wormery and try and breed worms to replace those which I relocated to an excited crop?

bravemurphy

Re: Earthworms and/or tigerworms
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 20:11 »
Trouble is with earthworms off the net is that they are not native to this country, they are canadian lobworms.

best way to get lots of free worms is put the chicken poo/litter in a compost bin/darlec and wait a few weeks.

Take the darlec off turn it over and there will be loads of worms(tiger/brandlings) for the chooks and the rotted muck can go on the garden for our native lob worms  ;)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 23:50 »
It is a bad time of the year for worms if you are in the uk so don't worry I am sure they will resurface when the weather improves.  Your hens need a balanced diet so they shouldn't have too much of one thing anyway.  Just let them find their own bugs, grubs and worms, they are very well equipped.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:54 »

Buy mealworms from http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/.  Breeding the worms is easy peasy and there is soooo much information and advice on the mighty interweb.

You can suspend a dead rabbit from the cage.  Flies come and lay eggs, eggs turn into maggots, maggots drop to floor, pleased hens!

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

eneville

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 20:16 »
Cheers, looks like that site sells worms:

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/garden-worms.html

I don't think the neighbours would like the smell of some rotting mammal, and I can't be sure the chicks wouldn't try and eat it either, so probably wont go down that route.

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 12:48 »
If you decide to buy dried mealworms, cheapest place around, if you have one where you live, is Home Bargains...99p for 100g.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 12:51 »
Don't forget they are a treat though as they are high in protein which can cause health problems.   ;)

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 21:38 »
earth worms can be brought from fishing shops, i used to pay around 8 quid for a fresh bag of 5kg worms
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

bravemurphy

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 22:27 »
Show me where that shop is i will buy 25k ready for the salmon.

they are now £12 for 100 lobs thats without postage.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 18:29 »
What about giving them maggots (white), also available from fishing tackle shops. Mine love them  :lol:

xx
Earthworms

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 20:49
by Tattyanne456

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 37 queries.