Bald undercarriage

• 6 Replies

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
Bald undercarriage
« on: March 23, 2013, 16:42 »
One of my rangers is totally bald underneath. If you tip her up she looks like an oven ready chicken!! :unsure: Weirdly though there are no signs of any feathers in the nest box, coop or covered run. We have checked and re-checked for any sign of red mite in the coop but can find nothing. Is it a bit late/early in the year for the moult? She is about 16 months old and has been laying approx 5 eggs a week through the winter, although the shells are rougher and not as strong as usual. They get Heygates layers pellets, grit/shell and water plus a handful of corn each before bed. They also free range for part of the day so they get access to grass. Advice please?
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Bald undercarriage
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 17:12 »
Redmite would feed off the blood but other mites or fleas can cause skin irritation.

Hens can molt or partial molt at any time of the year.  If her egg shell quality has dipped give her a good check over for unwanted guests.  The molt can take it out of the hen so that could also be the cause, check for new quills emerging.  Try not giving the corn treats so she eats more of the layers pellets which is better for her.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 12:23 »
Thanks for the advice. Re the corn, I thought you were supposed to give them some corn last thing to sustain them during the night. Have I been give incorrect advice?  ???

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 14:22 »
Corn is a bit like sweets for a kid so should be given a couple of times a week that why people say it sustains them during cold night because its very fattening.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 14:34 »
I had a speckled hen that was bald from crop to vent nearly all her life, no infestation or dietary problem involved.

I put it down to the fact that she was broody so often that she didn`t think it was worth getting dressed ! :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 14:55 »
As Dawnuss said they are like a treat.  Birds in the wild don't have access to corn before bedtime and they manage.  Corn will just produce fat on their vital organs so you can kill them with kindness.   ;)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 19:38 »
Half my girls have bald undercarriages! We have a couple of bullies and we do find a few big feathers lying around - not enough though! ???

We did see our Grey Marans Gertie eating the small fluffy feathers as she pecked them out?! ???

xx
bald hen!

Started by NUMBER27 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 18:35
by diamond_lil
question
Bald bum!

Started by Spacey on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 20:59
by Dave W
xx
bald hen

Started by henheaven on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 17:21
by joyfull
xx
Bald Bum

Started by Prod on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 18:07
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 37 queries.