Creeping grass?

• 15 Replies

parsley

• Experienced Member
Creeping grass?
« on: March 23, 2013, 10:08 »
I took over my allotment a couple of weeks ago, begging emails to allotment societies do work woohoo!, it had belonged to an older lady who had decided it would be too much for her this year (she very kindly had it dug over and left me her tools bless her). The soil seems in generally good condition but I have noticed a creeping grass, couch grass I think, and there's rhyzomes everywhere! I've dug out loads and am going to bring them home for burning rather than stick them in the compost, but is there any way I can get rid of it without chemicals? I was told years ago that mustard is good for smothering but don't know anyone who's used it
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:13 by parsley »
Motherhood - when being spontaneous takes 2 and a half days of careful planning

kitch

Re: Creeping grass?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 10:13 »
Hi Parsley looking at the photo your a bit young to be lighting fires.
Sorry dont think theres an easy way but hard work, sharpen her tools un get going

parsley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 10:15 »
 :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 13:25 »
Nothing really smothers couch grass I'm afriad, apart from perhaps several seasons under black plastic sheeting  ???

Digging it out everytime a pesky little shoot shows itself is tedious to begin with but you will soon get on top of it  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 18:35 »
I agree with the others, it's a persistent battle to pull it out. I find after a good rain that roots come easier out of soft ground and I can pull it with my hands. Soon as you spot it, do battle because the dratted stuff grows so darned fast. I even tried putting up a concrete block wall against them and the little stinkers grew under the wall  >:(

And you're right - never ever compost couch roots unless you want to propagate them.

parsley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 06:08 »
Thanks everyone  :D . Can't wait til Albert is old enough to use a hand fork  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 16:29 »
 :lol: You've got that right - train 'em while they're young !

Ema

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:01 »
I've got couch all over my new plot. I'm slowly digging it out its hard work! I have been leaving the paths but fear this was an awful idea. I've also thrown the clogs into the compost bin - I'm going to wrap the timber bin in black plastic and hope for the best.

parsley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 09:12 »
It is hard work and so distracting! One minute I'm happily preparing a seed bed, the next minute I'm over the other side of the allotment digging like a woman possessed trying to get the root up. And then when it snaps there's plenty of swearing  :D

simonwatson

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:17 »
I've got couch all over my new plot. I'm slowly digging it out its hard work! I have been leaving the paths but fear this was an awful idea. I've also thrown the clogs into the compost bin - I'm going to wrap the timber bin in black plastic and hope for the best.

You can use a solution of Ammonium Sulphamate to accelerate the composting process. It's my understanding that whilst you can no longer use it as a weedkiller (it's not EU approved) it's still OK to use as a compost accelerator.

LilacSandy

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 10:39 »

You can use a solution of Ammonium Sulphamate to accelerate the composting process. It's my understanding that whilst you can no longer use it as a weedkiller (it's not EU approved) it's still OK to use as a compost accelerator.

I think Parsley want,s to do this without chemicals Simon, and looking at that lovely picture I would not want to put any chemicals on compost that may end up in the food that he is going to eat.

simonwatson

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 11:15 »
You're right, I missed that part of the original post.

parsley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 13:08 »
2 barrows worth has been bought home today and is popping away nicely in the chimnea. Bloomin stuff!

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 13:39 »
But now you'll have some nice ash for the soil  ;)

parsley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 13:58 »
Exactly  :) nothing wasted...even the bad bits!

xx
Creeping Buttercup

Started by Hodgey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 16:30
by gobs
xx
Creeping Buttercup

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 18:32
by Yorkie
xx
Creeping Buttercup

Started by sarah1983jane on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 15:28
by Paul Plots
xx
Creeping buttercup

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 19:47
by AnneB

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 37 queries.