how much sand?

• 5 Replies

dan808

how much sand?
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:46 »
Hi guys I've got heavy clay soil about a 8inch down I have planned to put raised beds in they are constructed now but before I fill them I want to improve the sub soil slightly and just wondering how much sharp sand should I use per sq metre?
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.  :-) :-)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: how much sand?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:00 »
according to the RHS add lot n lots  ::)
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=620

Personally I think you're better to add organic material to improve the soil - manure, home made compost (shop bought isn't as useful, but better than nothing IMO)

dan808

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:12 »
I'm lucky enough two have four horse on the allotment next to me and my neighbour is happy for me to take as much as want I seem to be the only one interested :blink:, to help fill the beds I was thinking off ringing a tree surgeon and adding a few bags of wood chipping what are your thoughts on that.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 10:26 »
wood chippings take the nitrogen from the soil as they rot down, is the theory....

I would use them as a surface mulch in the winter - then they can take the nitrogen from the air, and can be dug in in spring.

IIRC other people dig them straight in but add extra nitrogen feed to compensate.............someone else will be along soon on that, I'm sure  :)

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 18:27 »
If you have 8in of topsoil and say a 4in raised bed on top , i would leave things as they are and concentrate on the topsoil you will be filling the bed's with.

Stree

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 18:40 »
I had a garden with heavy clay and I dug up what I could around established plants and shrubs, not too near roots, lifted what I could into nursery beds. I left the clay rough in big lumps and over winter thefrost breaks it down. Then in spring dug it all back in with lots of strawy horsemuck and river sand. Breaking up the clay releases a tremendous amount of nutrients, clay is very rich organically and some plants seek it out and once established on it thrive.

xx
Lawn sand aka sand plus Ferrous Sulphate

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 02, 2021, 13:57
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
sand

Started by Caretaker on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post May 02, 2012, 23:18
by Plot74
xx
Horticultural sand?

Started by Lesleyk on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 11:12
by Goosegirl
xx
Kiln dry sand

Started by adal on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 16:14
by coo!

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 37 queries.