Putting chickens to bed

• 14 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Putting chickens to bed
« on: March 17, 2013, 19:10 »
I'm so greatful to everyone on this site for their invaluable help.  Yet another question.  I am getting more chickens, my last lot were in charge of my life, this time I want to get it right and be the boss. 

I want to be able to go to bed early and not have to wait till after dark.

I have a self closing door on my coop.  Even so I would still go out after dark to check they were all in. On the odd occasion that they didn't get in in time (sometimes illness, somtimes just tardy), I would find them quite distressed.  The run is foxproof but I still worry about them.

I have an Eglu Go.  Should I leave that in the run incase they miss last doors on the Coop?

If this is a good plan, what happens when I get a couple more chickens in June and the Eglu Go is the quarantine Coop for the new 6-8 week chickens.  Can I put them to bed in the GO by 9am and let them out at 7am?  (and find something else for the late comers in the main Coop).  That's 2 questions in one, hope I haven't confused everyone!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Putting chickens to bed
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 19:17 »
Mine are now in a secure walk in run with eglu cube.  Some roost in the roof trusses and the rest in the cube.  I don't close the door so they go to bed and get up when they want to.

My broody Dotty is in another section of the WIR in a eglu classic with her chicks.  I closed the door on that when they were very young but they are 6 weeks old now and I have left the door open for the past 2 weeks.  They are hardier than we give them credit for.  Thay manage in the wild on their own.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 19:24 »
I knew I was being too soft.  So I could leave the door open all night in the summer.

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 19:32 »
And the winter, they had feather duvets to keep them warm.  The main thing is that they are secure from predators.

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 19:44 »
 " I am getting more chickens, my last lot were in charge of my life, this time I want to get it right and be the boss.  "
Oh foolish person, how could you ever think that you, a mere human, could ever be boss?

For bedtime, you need to be sure that it is dark and 9 pm in midsummer is too early. Once it is dark then any not in will have found a secret place for the night and won't come out however much you probe - but they will be fine and safe.
We have an automatic door, but I still check every night; it's main benefit is letting the little blighters out in the morning.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 19:50 »
I have the same arrangement - a WIR that I lock when I'm out, and inside that the coop. I leave the door open usually 24 hours, but I must admit when it is very cold -degrees, or very windy I tend to close the door.

However, I have trained by hens to open the door themselves. It is a conventionally side-hinged door though, not a pop-hole with a door coming down.

Last summer I started closing it just a little, so they had to push it open a bit more as they come down the ladder. Every few days I'd close it a bit more. Eventually I could close it completely and they knew to push it open in the morning. The only downside is I think they do get up later - may be up to an hour. It must be a while before they get hungry enough to try the door. In the winter when they are on the perch up to 16 hours anyway I am always concerned that they get out at first light to have maximum feeding time before bed. But then I'm up by then anyway usually.

Anyway it's the WIR that really makes the difference and frees you up to stay out after dark or have a lie-in.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 19:59 »
So, can I leave the door open on the Eglu Go for the 6-8 week olds to go to bed, or will it be too chilly for the youngsters?  I think I will be getting them in June, the longest days of the year.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 20:05 »
If they are fully feathered and off the heatlamp they should be fine if the weather is nice.  You could always close them in for the first few nights if the weather is cool until they aclimatise.  Mine have Mum to keep them warm but we have minus temperatures quite a few nights a week and sometimes during the day.  They are happily perching and not constantly huddled under Mum.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 20:17 »
Thank you.  Yes, I think I can stay up a few nights when I get the new girls.  As long as it doesn't become a habit, like the constant supply of grapes with my last lot............

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 20:22 »
They don't need treats, they have everything they need in their layers pellets.  A cabbage hung up is good to keep them occupied but give it to them later in the day when they have eaten enough pellets.  If you spoil them like kids they will rule your life.   ;)

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 21:36 »
I had understood that you only need to really close the coop door if it goes below 10 degrees C? I have a WIR too with the Eglu Go coop inside it so if it is over 10 degrees at night they can go to bed and get up when they want. Yippee - a lie in when it is - although Napoleon crowing still wakes us up  (and the neighbours  :happy: )

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 08:35 »
There are 2 reasons for closing chooks in at night. To protect them from predators and to protect them from draughts (being different from ventilation). The temperature does not really come into it. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 15:07 »
Thanks for clarifying that Sassy. Even more lie-ins in that case  :D

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 19:21 »
So Sassy, does that mean I can leave the door open if the weather's ok, as long as they're safe from predators?

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 18:31 »
As long as they really are safe from predators and they do not get a draught from the door, yes. :)

xx
Putting the hens to bed!

Started by Selkie on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 18:00
by Selkie
xx
Putting weight on?

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 15:40
by jinty1911
xx
Going to try putting a photo on here.

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 04, 2006, 23:13
by greenie
xx
Putting Hens Together

Started by scampy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 19:16
by scampy

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 36 queries.