Electric Fruit & Vegetable Drier

• 12 Replies

David.

« on: December 08, 2007, 16:19 »
Any one used an electric fruit & vegetable drier (dessicator)?

http://www.vigopresses.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=422

Please let me know as it's at the top of my wife's Christmas present list.

Rob the rake

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 16:48 »
No, but it looks like a great piece of kit David, if a tad expensive.

Rob.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Sally A

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 17:00 »
Good grief - didn't even know they existed, my idea of a fruit and veg drier is a bargain 6 pack of kitchen towel.

I can't see the point in drying veg now the freezers been invented, granted I do like a dried apricot or a prune but not enough to do it meself.

Still if it's what your wife wants - just think of your sandwich box for the next few months - no more choccie bars and crisps, just healthy stuff.  Enjoy!

Rob the rake

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 17:25 »
Good for yer "sun-dried" tomatoes maybe, Sally? Mind, you'd have to like them an awful lot to pay all that money for one. :D

Sally A

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 17:31 »
Word of warning David, she'll be nicking all that fruit  you planned to brew.

David.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 18:06 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
I can't see the point in drying veg now the freezers been invented!

We have a fridge/freezer in the kitchen, and 1 large chest freezer + 2 smaller under worktop (workbench) freezers in the shed, and they are all full - veg, wild fruit for winemaking, apple juice awaiting pasteurisation, sea fish I've caught, Quorn products when on BOGOF, apple pieces for piemaking, etc.

And it can dry mushrooms (which currently create more demand on the freezers when made into soup), flowers for wine making, fruit, etc. and I'm sure, as with other things, we will find a whole load more uses once up & running (on Economy 7 overnight).

There is a more basic DIY version consisting of an old tea chest and a light bulb............., but then I make 'savings' by not purchasing things like widescreen TV's, etc.

P.S.
Quote from: "Sally A"
Word of warning David, she'll be nicking all that fruit  you planned to brew.

But my cunning plan is to make wine from the dried fruit!

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 04:43 »
We have a similar drier. the first year we dried loads of apple slices which the kids promptly ate before we got to the finished product. Also dries parsley nicely and whatever other herbs you like. Don't use it much now as the kids have moved out and our freezers hold what we need now. But with electricity costs soaring, it's a thought to reduce from 2 freezers to 1 freezer by drying, though the drier does use a fair bit itself. It's a Catch 22 thing.

wildeone

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 06:29 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
We have a similar drier. the first year we dried loads of apple slices which the kids promptly ate before we got to the finished product. Also dries parsley nicely and whatever other herbs you like. Don't use it much now as the kids have moved out and our freezers hold what we need now. But with electricity costs soaring, it's a thought to reduce from 2 freezers to 1 freezer by drying, though the drier does use a fair bit itself. It's a Catch 22 thing.

I was just about to say that it would probably pay me back in the amount of dried apple my babies get through!!! Little one constantly has a piece on the go when shes teething as its spongy against her gums!! And because of that they now crave it when ever they're ill as a cure all comforter. Another piece of kit i'd like is a vacume packer!! but thats a whole other post! :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 10:50 »
Looks a nice bit of kit but I'm surprised it needs 700W - still I suppose it is how long it needs 700W for.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

David.

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 12:14 »
Quote from: "john"
Looks a nice bit of kit but I'm surprised it needs 700W - still I suppose it is how long it needs 700W for.

Between 4 & 8 hrs according to the info., but I would use overnight on Economy 7 tariff @ 2.57pence a unit.

My daughter loves Apple Crisps, but only a tiny packet each day would cost £4.50/week.

Quote from: "wildeone"
Another piece of kit i'd like is a vacume packer!

And the next bit of kit on our wish list is also a vacuum packer.

wildeone

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 12:18 »
Great minds think alike!!! (although you do spell better than me! :oops: )

mushroom

Re: Electric Fruit & Vegetable Drier
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 14:16 »
Quote from: "David."
Any one used an electric fruit & vegetable drier (dessicator)?

http://www.vigopresses.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=422

Please let me know as it's at the top of my wife's Christmas present list.

Nice bit of kit, but why not do it in the oven on a tray or metal gauze with the gas turned really low? mind you, that might not do for some things, because my method 'cooks ' in a way, as drying at 70C does. This dries stuff like apricots?

David.

Re: Electric Fruit & Vegetable Drier
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 17:23 »
Quote from: "mushroom
Nice bit of kit, but why not do it in the oven on a tray or metal gauze with the gas turned really low? mind you, that might not do for some things, because my method 'cooks ' in a way, as drying at 70C does. This dries stuff like apricots?

The oven drying methods I've seen advise 110degC and leaving the door ajar, which seems like rather a waste of energy (and my kitchen would become oppressively hot in Summer). I don't have a fan assisted oven, only a modest electric one, which I would not trust to not overdo anything/use more electricity as I would have to be opening it up and rotating drying fruit.

It's a bit like pasteurising, which can be done in a pan on the cooker constantly checking with a thermometer, but we use one of these:

I can get up at 5am, turn on (pre-loaded), go back to bed for 1hr 20mins, before getting up again for the last 2 re-loads, and pasteurise 4 galls of juice all on Economy 7 tariff. I couldn't manage the pan method at that time of a morning (nor making bread using the oven in lieu of breadmaker).

xx
electric wok

Started by sue anne on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 18:45
by sue anne
xx
Vegetable Store

Started by Digger the Dog on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2019, 16:11
by Digger the Dog
xx
Vegetable juice?

Started by spud on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

32 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 14:51
by janet12000
xx
electric food steaming

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 14:52
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 28 queries.