What snow in March!

• 43 Replies

Salmo

Re: What snow in March!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 16:32 »
Should we really expect anything different.  I seem to remember some lovely Spring weather at the start of this month.

If March comes in like a lamb it goes out like a lion.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 17:36 »
Should we really expect anything different.  I seem to remember some lovely Spring weather at the start of this month.

If March comes in like a lamb it goes out like a lion.

Yes!!!   :D  just in time for the week's leave I've booked to get some serious work done on the plot

al78

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 12:43 »
I thought it was the north wind!  :lol:

Anyway, back to the snow in June of 1975 - anyone remember how the rest of the year turned out?

A week after that snow the country was basking in a heatwave.

Summer 1975 was decent, which was then followed by the infamous summer of 1976. It was very rare back then to get back-to-back good summers.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 13:03 »
I was between jobs in the summer of 1975, having finished at college and awaiting joining the police in September.

I spent quite a bit of time outdoors and got quite a tan. I looked a bit stupid when I got my hair cut.  :mellow:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bricoop

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 13:29 »
 Snow in March I know somsbody is bound to say OOh here we go. But back in the days of rabbit pie and outside toilets that ed be 1947 the winter had been so bad new spuds as they were called then were being planted at the end of May and into June. How do I know? because I was 7 years old and helping me grandad plant em. So slow down folks there,s all april not started on yet. Just thought I would cheer you up. By the way still snowing in the West Yorkshire area.
B C

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 13:40 »
Nothing unusual about snow in March, we are still in Winter, at a somewhat northern latitude.
Newcastle is the same latitude as Moscow, and we quite a way North of the US where a few feet of snow at this time is expected in NY. The US was split at the 49 parallel, I think all the UK is above that - London is 51.5, so we are more north then the Canadian boarder is.
Why the "surprise" ?

Salmo

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 14:40 »
Wednesday is the first day of Spring - that is on my calendar.

I am looking forward to it.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 15:12 »
I'm looking forward to the clocks changing. Lighter nights always make things seem a bit better somehow.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 18:18 »
Nothing unusual about snow in March, we are still in Winter, at a somewhat northern latitude.
Newcastle is the same latitude as Moscow, and we quite a way North of the US where a few feet of snow at this time is expected in NY. The US was split at the 49 parallel, I think all the UK is above that - London is 51.5, so we are more north then the Canadian boarder is.
Why the "surprise" ?

The jet stream above and the gulf stream in the Atlantic usually keep us warmer than those places. This is an unusually cold March .............
Leon Brown, meteorologist at The Weather Channel, said that as it was looking unlikely we would see above normal temperatures for the rest of the month is was “likely to be the coldest March since 2006 and perhaps 1996.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/9926437/Britain-on-course-for-coldest-March-in-17-years.html

That's what we don't like it......... If it happened every year we would be better at coping  ;)

al78

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 21:48 »
Why the "surprise" ?

Snow isn't unusual in March, if you are talking about the sort that falls then melts within a day before it warms up again. What we have here is in a different league; sustained cold with repeated snow episodes and very little in the way of milder interludes. Even in the south daytime maxes are in the single digits and sometimes well down into single figures. This is more typical of mid January than mid March. Comparing the UK to Moscow of NY is meaningless as these are in a completely different climate zone, the prevailing winds here blow from a cold continental landmass as opposed to a maritime climate like the UK where the winds typically blow from a much milder Atlantic ocean.

This March is running about a degree below normal, so comparing to the UK climatology the weather this month is unusually cold (but not exceptional). We can only hope that things improve in April, otherwise I think there are some farmers out there that will be simply unable to cope with two poor seasons in a row.

allot2learn

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 22:06 »

Anyway, back to the snow in June of 1975 - anyone remember how the rest of the year turned out?

No chance. I was in the RAF and just posted out to Germany. The rest of the year was just a duty free alcoholic blur.  :tongue2:

LilacSandy

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 16:49 »

My Mum always said 'March winds do blow' and she was always right, even when she was wrong.

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 18:52 »
Walking the dog in bitter easterly I suddenly remembered a song we used to sing when I was in the merchant navy.

'Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack,
Butting through the Channel in the mad March days,
With a cargo of Tyne coal,
Road-rails, pig-lead,
Firewood, iron-ware, and cheap tin trays.'

Nothing to do with allotments, but nothing is doing there either!
:lol:
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

digger1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 18:59 »
I remeber being taught that poem at junior school many many years ago

JohnB47

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 20:51 »
Walking the dog in bitter easterly I suddenly remembered a song we used to sing when I was in the merchant navy.

'Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack,
Butting through the Channel in the mad March days,
With a cargo of Tyne coal,
Road-rails, pig-lead,
Firewood, iron-ware, and cheap tin trays.'

Nothing to do with allotments, but nothing is doing there either!
:lol:

Interesting that you used to sing it. It's a poem by John Masefield. What tune did you sing it to?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 20:52 by JohnB47 »

clip
What do you do with rhubarb in March...?

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 01, 2015, 11:30
by surbie100
xx
march heaven

Started by craggy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 15:04
by viettaclark
xx
March Weather

Started by andyjwill on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 16:43
by Bombers
xx
Vegetables on the march. . .

Started by Ruby Red on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 17, 2008, 10:35
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 37 queries.