smothering weeds

• 26 Replies

LilacSandy

Re: smothering weeds
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 08:25 »
Sorry, but DD is right.  It has taken me nearly 3 years to get it under control,  do not cover the patch as this just encourages the roots to spread out looking for the light.  I would plant onions or leeks after you have gone over the patch on your hands and knees getting out as much as you can, then you will have to hand weed over the season as the bits you have missed grow through.

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 08:26 »
If you won't use weedkiller, then you'll have to dig it up.

I've had my allotment for 5 years (maybe 6) and have to dig some of it up every year. The good news is that there's much less of it now than when I got the allotment; it took me 3 hours to dig half of my allotment a few weeks ago, 5/6 years ago it was about a month of weekends to clear maybe a third or half of it.

I've found couch grass's weakness is that it doesn't like being dug up. It's taken a while, but I'm getting there.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 08:40 »
Sorry, but DD is right.  It has taken me nearly 3 years to get it under control,  do not cover the patch as this just encourages the roots to spread out looking for the light.  I would plant onions or leeks after you have gone over the patch on your hands and knees getting out as much as you can, then you will have to hand weed over the season as the bits you have missed grow through.

Oh my I still have 8' by 20' under cover .... best get digging!! :ohmy:
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

Kirpi

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 11:12 »
The problem with digging couch up is that every tiny piece you don't get out, after all your back-breaking hard work and hours, will grow back again. I am afraid your work will never end.

I garden organically but there is a time when - as an initial clearing - a systemic weedkiller just makes sense. I believe Round-up breaks down into natural components once it has done it's job of killing the weeds right down to the root ends, then you can garden as you wish.

All the best, whatever you decide.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 11:22 »
I dug mine out when I first got my plot, and it only grew back in a few little patches which I sprayed with glyphosate as soon as I saw it in that first year.

Now it only creeps in from the grass paths but is easily pulled up there ;).............
now it's the just the weeds that grow from seed blown in from the plot next door  :mad: that are a problem!
So I'll be using a lot of cardboard and weed fabric to cut down on the work this year.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 15:35 »
I'm with those who advocate digging too.  I have had weed suppressant down for a year on one side of my small allotment and it hasn't killed it at all. So now I'm just digging it up.  I know I won't get every little bit but as Azezello says it seems to get less over time. Certainly the rest of the allotment which was dug over last year and the roots removed is now a lot clearer.

Good luck with it  :) 
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Ema

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 15:55 »
half my plot is being rotivated for me because they needed to drive over it. is there a good reasonable and safe weed killer that will kill couch, nettles and docs? that I can put on before its rotavated? and hope for a dry day? wil be approx half my plot 5x15meters

Ema

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 15:56 »
And one more thing.... If I used weed killer how long would I have to wait before planting spuds in this area?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 16:10 »

Ema

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 17:09 »
thanks mum sure does sound like the easier option a few squid of weed killer vs 50 hours digging.

crh75

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 12:25 »
To help prevent it coming under the fence, a physical barrier is needed.  Couch grass roots are not deep so a 6" deep plank should do it.

(corrected spelling)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 14:51 by crh75 »

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 19:35 »
thanks I was toying with that idea Ive got some lengths of planking enough for the 4 beds in question.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

xx
Ideas for low maintenance (low water/weed smothering) crops

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 19, 2013, 19:39
by Christine
xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig
xx
Weeds!!!

Started by Sativa on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 21:33
by digalotty

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 37 queries.