Too late for manure?

• 8 Replies

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
Too late for manure?
« on: March 13, 2013, 17:03 »
Hi all,

It's my first post in the forum so be gentle!

Due to a combination of bad weather and my wife working away, we've only just finished cutting the turf off our new veg plot. The original plan was that it would be plot 1 of our eventual 3/4 plot rotation and we'd dig some manure in last Autumn. Obviously that didn't happen... is it too late to add organic matter now? We'll want to get some seconde earlies in by the end of March. If not manure, we may be able to get hold of some decent quality compost.

The plan now is to split the plot in two and grow potatoes, squashes, cucumber and spinach on the 'manure' side and beans, onions, garlic, lettuce, radish etc. etc. on the other. Roots and brassicas to come in later years...

EDIT: Reading down I can see this has been answered about a million times before! Since we also don't really have a source of well rotted manure, I'm going to go with poultry pellets across the whole plot. Unless anyone tells me not to  ::)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 17:13 by NewSteve »
Never stop learning

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Too late for manure?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 17:14 »
Welcome to the forum  :)
You can just use compost, it will work just fine  ;)

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 17:19 »

Welcome!

Don't get too worked up about trying to have perfect soil straight away. Work it over the years, adding manure and compost when you can. Simply cultivating it will make it better over time.

Gardening is a slow mans game =]

- Gary.
“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 17:22 »
I know some women who would disagree with that!  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 17:55 »
You could try a few bags of well-rotted manure. There are a few processors round here - maybe you have one or two nearby? - if the worse comes to the worse, there's always a garden centre for a few bags.

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 17:56 »
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure we'll have a few failures this year but just want to make sure we have some successes too!

According to the neighbours we have great soil. There used to be a pig farm here!

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 18:49 »
and it has been suggested  many times to sow to the weather, not to the calender.  I have put off my sowing for two weeks already, and possibly will have to grit my teeth and resist planting spuds / and parsnips for at least another two weeks, if Carol Kirkwood is right.  ;) That will be a month delay, compared to last year
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 22:09 »
Perhaps its more a case of how you want to grow the veg and what soil you have its more important to have some cultivated depth to it than to have had fresh manure on it If you have a decent depth then the addition of an organic or non organic fertilizer would work. ;)After all most farmers dont plough in tons and tons of manure , but do open up the soil with the plough 
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

spudlover

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 00:58 »
i see that you taken the turf off. first thing you should do make a compost bin .put the turf in the bin with all you veg peeling and once the bin is full. turn it over in about 6 months.next 6 months put it all in the ground as compost. do the same with fresh horse manure.you cant beat making it youself save money at the end of the day. one way to make compost faster put your wee.on the compost heap.paul

xx
Too Late For Manure ?

Started by RichT on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 20:16
by FreddieJ
xx
Too late for manure???

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 23:12
by titch
xx
is it too late to manure?

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 19:33
by nobby90
xx
Chicken Manure - to late to dig in??

Started by rustygman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 12:24
by Brassica Blaz

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 38 queries.