Moles

• 9 Replies

ecky

• Experienced Member
Moles
« on: March 11, 2013, 00:18 »
where do they come from? this is my 4th year with an allotment and all of a sudden I have mole hills coming up as far apart as 30 yard. No plots around me seem to have them. Since they have arrived on my plot  I have noticed on my travels that there are a lot on the road side verges. Is this a good/bad year for moles? and how does one get shut off them?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Moles
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:24 »
The moles are really bad this year.

You can buy sonic repellers, we have one and it is quite effective or you can buy a couple of different types of trap - tunnel or scissor, if you're going to be competent to deploy those. Otherwise, you can get someone who knows how to set the traps or a registered pest controller who can deal with them.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:59 »
Moles have a network of tunnels about 6 inches under. They only push heaps up when they are extending their system. Runs at ground level are feeding tunnels.

They are on your plot because it has plenty of worms, you have probably mucked it well.

Talk to them nicely, suggest that they might like your neighbours plot better and they will soon go. Probably return again in a few weeks. Be respectful to the little man in black.

If the ground is disturbed they do not seem to hang around.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 08:34 »
It is common for moles to moves to higher ground in winter . The wetter the year the more low tunnels get waterlogged and you get concentrations of moleys on the higher dryer ground .

thumperrabbit

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 09:12 »
Sonic Repellers are very effective we have found, as long as you remember to change the batteries every year or so!

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 22:15 »
Use the soil from the mole hills for potting compost....great stuff.

yaxley

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 22:38 »
Heard on our local radio that it,s been a good year for them they can make a mess of your plot thankfully i have not got any and dont want them ..Trap them if you feel confident theres lots of trapping sites to read on line ...
Grow organic as nature intended

mrsbean

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 23:29 »
I suffer with moles on my plot. Last year they pushed all my tomatoes up in my greenhouse bed which is a foot deep, just taken soil/compost out to ground level and layed chicken wire down and filled bed again,you would,nt believe how much compost was in an 8ft row. left other side to see if this works.They seem to have been active all winter along grass verges on roadsides.I work in a hospital with loads of grounds they are everywere they must be mega moles as some of the hills are huge,have been collecting soil,one hill filled two 2ft long planters.Made OH put trap down once to catch them,only did it once as i got upset when we did catch one as they are so cute, and i suppose its nature.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 11:26 »
they must be mega moles as some of the hills are huge

funny you should say that - although most of the area where I live and the allotment site is heavy clay, the local park (woodland & fields) is sandy and there have always been moles there - and recently I noticed the mole hills were huge.  There are a lot of rabbits around too so I suspected that maybe they were burrows, but now not so sure.  I need some soil for beds on my plot and it had crossed my mind to take a bucket and shovel with me when I walk the dog  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 21:30 »
It is common for moles to moves to higher ground in winter . The wetter the year the more low tunnels get waterlogged and you get concentrations of moleys on the higher dryer ground .

That is probably why we have had so many this winter. Lots of plots and the adjacent water meadows are flooded so they are seeking refuge with me  :ohmy: :blink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Moles

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post December 02, 2011, 18:24
by 8doubles
xx
moles

Started by Neil Doncaster on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 14:42
by arugula
xx
Moles!

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 07:22
by PennyS
xx
Moles

Started by about.time2 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 14:10
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 36 queries.