What care do 6 -8 week chicks need?

• 6 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
What care do 6 -8 week chicks need?
« on: March 09, 2013, 19:15 »
I have only had ex-batts previously.  I am planing to get a couple of 6 - 8 weeks old chicks. 
Do they need extra care at this age? 

I have no idea of what their size will be! I have a wooden coop which is 18inches off the ground.  Will they cope with the ladder?  Or should I use my Eglu initially (normally the hospital coop)?

If I am offered even younger chicks, what's the youngest I should take, without needing extra care.

Thanks.
I'm clueless!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: What care do 6 -8 week chicks need?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 23:01 »
In this sort of weather any chick under 6 weeks will need a heat lamp.  6-8 weeks, I'm not sure about the 18 inch high ladder.  A lot depends on where they spent their first weeks.

They should be okay, as I have had 2 week old chicks that could fly up onto the top of their brooder ring which was 2ft off the ground.

That would also be better in case there are any predators around, rats etc.  They may take a chick, whereas they won't usually bother an adult chicken.

But you could use the eglu too, as long as the run is rat safe.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 06:12 »
Thank  you Grannie Anne.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:28 »
You're welcome, but you may get different advice later, as we all have our own ideas.  The main thing to remember with small chicks is to keep them warm until they are fully feathered, which is usually about 6 weeks.

snow white

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 15:21 »
I had chicks at 8 weeks, They were scrappy little things the size of a pidgeon.  It was May, so I didn't need to keep them warm.  As long as they have a warm draught free coop to go in if cold, then treat them as normal hens, but give them growers feed of course until about 18-20 weeks.  Mine were fully feathered by 8 weeks.  Try to wait until they are 8 weeks to be sure.  The breeder should have had them without heat by then and got them used to outdoors. But if they have been indoors all this time, then you will have to introduce cold outside slowly - like hardening off plants.  :happy:

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 18:36 »
I had trouble with my silkie chicks (bantams) when I got them at 8 weeks as their feet were too small for the roosting bars in my eglu (Go) and they were having difficulties moving around in the coop. I was also worried that they might break a leg as their feet kept slipping off the bars and they really weren't happy.  In the end I removed the roosting bars but left in the dropping tray lined with newspaper and bedding until they were big enough to grip the bars.

They were such sweet little balls of fluff when I first got them - now rather burly girls with substantial drumsticks!    :)

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 18:44 »
Thank you everybody, I can't wait to get my little chicks now.  Mind you, soon I will start worrying about keeping them safe from the fox, rats, my cats, the cold and roosting bars :happy:

question
health care for chicks

Started by legendjeff on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 15:46
by legendjeff
xx
incubator and care about new chicks

Started by emotion-2003 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 16:45
by emotion-2003
smiley
Help - New 1 week old chicks arriving next week!

Started by Stablechooks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 23:16
by Poolfield2
xx
Integrating 4 week and 3 week chicks

Started by Chickway on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 08:19
by Chickway

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 36 queries.