Interesting idea on rotavating and weeds

• 36 Replies

superpete

• Experienced Member
Re: Interesting idea on rotavating and weeds
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 12:23 »
We've never used a rotavator as our soil is light and easy to dig but I do believe in knocking back the perennial weeds with glyphosate if necessary.

I would use glyphosate BEFORE rotavating.  That way the roots in the soil that the rotavator would cut up are killed first.

But you still have to wait probably a month for the weedkiller to work, I reckon forking the weeds out of an otherwise empty plot of ground is quicker, if you have the time and your back's up to it – a gentle weeks work with lots of breaks for a 10 rod plot?

compostqueen

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 13:17 »
I don't really understand why it's important to do the entire plot in one go. If you're confronted with a clear plot you have the job of filling it. You said you only have a limited amount of time .......

Don't get stroppy, I was only trying to help  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 14:25 »
We've never used a rotavator as our soil is light and easy to dig but I do believe in knocking back the perennial weeds with glyphosate if necessary.

I would use glyphosate BEFORE rotavating.  That way the roots in the soil that the rotavator would cut up are killed first.

But you still have to wait probably a month for the weedkiller to work, I reckon forking the weeds out of an otherwise empty plot of ground is quicker, if you have the time and your back's up to it – a gentle weeks work with lots of breaks for a 10 rod plot?

That would work too.  It's just a matter of personal choice.

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 16:01 »
I don't really understand why it's important to do the entire plot in one go. If you're confronted with a clear plot you have the job of filling it. You said you only have a limited amount of time .......

Don't get stroppy, I was only trying to help  :)

Again, not terribly helpful and not in line with the original question!

I'm not getting stroppy, I just don't think people should put write on a thread unless its helpful and relevant.

It's not your business as to how I use chemicals on my plot or how I want to get it completed in one go or not. For your information, filling it will not be a problem as I already have a complete plan for it, and everything, canes, seeds, netting, cloches, manure, mulch etc ready for it.

I completed my last plot in one go, and won't have a problem doing this one in the same way, I was simply trying to work out the best way forward to get me there.

Without trying to be stroppy or trying to offend a moderator, I would politely ask you to not contribute if you actually don't have anything useful to contribute to the question I asked in the first instance. Making assumptions and judgements about me as you have done, does nothing to help, but does get irritating!

Sparkyrog

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 16:28 »
I have used the method you are asking about ! it will work as long as you are meticulous about keeping the hoe going constantly . " And guess what I worked on a farm for years too" :)
I cook therefore I grow

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 16:33 »
Yes, a hoe is the gardeners best friend !

Weeds - Never let them see a Sunday :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 16:34 »
If that's too cryptic Dugless, it means hoe your plot every week  :lol:

Salmo

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 17:13 »

That is fine when the couch has leaves. Often there will be a mass of brown stems and no green at this time of year. Cutting it up stimulates dormant nodes which produce leaves that can then be sprayed with glyphosate.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 17:25 »
Of course you have to use herbicide at the right time, Salmo.  The weeds have to be actively growing.  I wouldn't like to chance chopping up and spreading the couch roots myself but you can if you want to :) 

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 17:59 »

"Me Mam" moved into a downstairs council flat with a long narrow garden.  Couch/twitch grass everywhere.  the good thing was the soil was black and crumbly so after a long hot spell about ten of us all equipped with garden forks and standing shoulder to shoulder starting at one end lifted a mat of twitch and started to roll it up like a carpet shaking the weeds so the soil dropped from it all. 

We cleared the whole garden in about an hour and the next three hours fixing planks down the sides to stop it invading from next door.  The garden was clear of twitch and I never saw a shoot all the time Mam lived there.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 20:09 »
Thanks for the advice everyone. To help me conclude I'm going to see what my plot neighbour says too as he has been there for 20 odd years on my new site.  I know he does rotavate and I'm almost certain he does use a bit of weed killer judging by the pathway between us.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 20:11 »
ROFL Aunty now we are winding the clock back with the old sayings  :D

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 20:19 »
ROFL Aunty now we are winding the clock back with the old sayings  :D

Is it really an old saying, or does it mean that I'm somehow scarily older than I really am? Allotment, radio 4, barely into my 30s...

Sparkyrog

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 20:21 »
I am in my mid 50's and my Grandfather taught me that one  :)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 20:26 »
I personally don't like rotovators - we have slow worms, toads and newts on our site and they just destroy everything in their path in my opinion.  I am a soft touch and took a speared toad to the vets once (and I am not even veggie - just someone who wants to work with nature as much as possible!)

I usually don't dig either (preferring lasagne bed process to start off the growing area) but my new plot I have just taken over sounds similar to yours - very compacted and fully of couch and bindweed, so I appreciate how long it is taking (I am bored rigid with digging).

I am planning to do what I can physically, then set up the beds (as I garden in beds) using the lasagne bed process, which partly uses your fellow plotholders forking over process, but then layering with composting layers to produce a growing area.

I use glyphosate judiciously on my paths only.  I use a handspray and aim with a collar, made of a plastic bottle with the bottom cut off, to stop it travelling too far.

I used this process for my first plot which was similar, only it was more level than the current one, I am only digging to try to level it out somehow.

What I want to know is whether Tony and his mates are available to hire out!?!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
interesting companion planting idea (not mine i hasten to add)

Started by upthetump on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 23, 2015, 12:26
by Goosegirl
xx
Feed from Weeds, interesting link

Started by Heather_S on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 16, 2007, 22:31
by Trillium
xx
rotavating

Started by bedwell on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 23:24
by jezza
xx
rotavating in january??

Started by scottishislandlass on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 08:08
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.61 seconds with 36 queries.