What potatoes

• 32 Replies

blackberryjam

What potatoes
« on: March 02, 2013, 19:25 »
Thinking of growing potatoes what potatoes do you recommend. :)

blackberryjam

Re: What potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 19:35 »
I have bought some sarpo mira but after reading some of the  comments about this maincrop. I'm not sure it will be worth planting them.

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 19:42 »
It probably depends on what you like to eat.

I'm growing Lady Christl and Pentland Javelin for new potatoes, Charlotte for salad and Kestrel for everything else.  I grew Lady Christl last year and they were the tastiest of all I grew and cropped better.  Charlotte and Kestrel were firm favourites of many longstanding people on my allotment site and I've heard good things on here about PJ so thought I'd try them this year.

If you get chance to ask people on your site, you may get a good idea of which varieties grow well where you are.  No one on my site recommended main crops, but I didn't know that when I bought some last year ::).

I think some of the comments about sarpo mira performance last year may be due to the extremely wet year we had - here's hoping this year is much better!

Totty

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 19:45 »
Agree with Cake Lady, lady christal, Charlotte and kestrel are ones to look for IMO, international kidney (known as New Jersey Royals in the shops) are also very good and very expensive in the supermarket.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 20:07 »
You may find this thread interesting, especially the link to potato popularity polls.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=100964.msg1123504#msg1123504

When you go to buy bear in mind that some of the more popular varieties may already be sold out ;)

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 20:43 »
I really liked British Queen as a second early, beautiful flavour and was good roast, boiled, mashed and jacketed.  It didn't do too bad in an awful year last year.   Also liked Edgecote Purple, which was a lovely roast and baked spud but went to mush when boiled.

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 20:45 »
I grew Charlotte last year and they were delicious.

This year I'll try Ratte and King Edward.

blackberryjam

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 21:05 »
Has I have never grown potatoes. Kestrel looks a good choice for beginners . I do like a tasty potatoe  like jersey royals, and Cyprus.  :nowink:

blackberryjam

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 21:12 »
I've bought Charlotte potatoes from the supermarket. I like the taste of them too. :) do they taste even better when you grow them yourself.

solway cropper

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 21:31 »
I've bought Charlotte potatoes from the supermarket. I like the taste of them too. :) do they taste even better when you grow them yourself.

Everything tastes better when you grow it yourself  ;)

blackberryjam

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 21:44 »
Yum can't wait  :D

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 10:29 »
I always grow vanessa a nice red first early,plus one other first early last year was ulster sceptre a very nice tatie but the slugs absolutely loved them as well so they are off this year.
Charlotte for 2nd early these seem very popular and rightly so.
I like nothing better than a new potato,except a fried new potato covered in mint sauce and i think anya is the best potato for this.
I always grow a few desiree as well i ate these as new potatoes last year as my charlottes did nothing and they were very nice.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 15:46 »
I have bought some sarpo mira but after reading some of the  comments about this maincrop. I'm not sure it will be worth planting them.
I might be resonsible for that. I was referring to boiling them. They are very good roasted and chipped.

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 16:22 »
I'm growing Lady Christl, Sharpes Express, International Kidney, Pink Fir Apple, King Edwards and Desiree
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

Lottiman

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 19:43 »
Charlotte for me to a total must in our house and we grow them every year. Also chitting at the moment, Juilette, Sante, Valor, Merlin, Cara, Nicola, and highly recomended piccolo star.
Trial spuds for this year Casablanca, Accent, Belle de fontenay, Saxon ,Lady cristl, Estima,
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
new potatoes

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 23, 2017, 10:52
by I Love Spuds

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 39 queries.