Growing Onion Sets

• 18 Replies

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
Growing Onion Sets
« on: March 01, 2013, 17:24 »
Im looking to grow some Onion sets this year in a raised bed 1m squared, i was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice please.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Growing Onion Sets
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 17:33 »

Ensure you plant them the right way up!  Don't push them into the ground as this compresses the soil below the root plate.  Dig a shallow hole and bury them just below the surface as the birds have a habit of tugging them out in their search for beasties.

An old gardener's tale says when the time comes to lift your crop, lay them on the ground with the roots facing the sun at noon, this will stop them sprouting while in storage.  You may believe it, or you may not !

Have fun and best wishes,  :D  Cheers,   Tony. 

Best wishes
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 08:28 »
An old gardener's tale says when the time comes to lift your crop, lay them on the ground with the roots facing the sun at noon, this will stop them sprouting while in storage.  You may believe it, or you may not !

Never heard that before; will have to give it a try this year!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 08:41 »
But it always rains when I want to dry mine out!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ivor Backache

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 19:04 »
I hope samnorfolk does't mind but he did ask an open question on tips and advice. Every year I lose many onions to mildrew. The dark green mildew that finds its way between the freshy leaves  and work it way downwards. (neck rot?) That is despite days and days of drying. Towards the end of last season I sowed some spannish onions. They didn't really do much and i just left them. The thing is they have survived the winter, but then they are biennual. I grow Bedfordshire Champions from seed and Hercules from sets. I am doing something wrong but I don't quite know what it is.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 19:09 »
I hope samnorfolk does't mind but he did ask an open question on tips and advice. Every year I lose many onions to mildrew. The dark green mildew that finds its way between the freshy leaves  and work it way downwards. (neck rot?) That is despite days and days of drying. Towards the end of last season I sowed some spannish onions. They didn't really do much and i just left them. The thing is they have survived the winter, but then they are biennual. I grow Bedfordshire Champions from seed and Hercules from sets. I am doing something wrong but I don't quite know what it is.
When my Grandfather harvested onions he loosened the roots for a fortnight then lifted and put on wire netting racks in full sun for 3 weeks I do the same and it works for me !
I cook therefore I grow

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 19:21 »
In a small growing area it might make sense to space them at 4" rather than 6" (the bulbs will be smaller but unfortunately you can't get something for nothing.) Make sure they have enough food and water to keep them growing steadily or they might bolt.

When it comes to storing, most onions are a bit easier than shallots because there is relatively more bulb to skin area so they are easier to dry out, and full drying is the key to avoiding  destructive moulds developing (in the last few years I've dried mine indoors rather than relying on the great British summer.)  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ivor Backache

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 19:47 »
Thank you for your replies. They made me realise that perhaps I am rushing things.  Let the plants die back properly and then partial lift.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 22:02 »
I plant them in toilet roll inner tubes (cut in half - 2-4-1 :D) and let them sprout - currently in unheated greenhouse.

Plant them oooh 5-6 inches apart. Net immediately and leave netted. Feed twice with onion fertiliser. :D

Hope this helps

moody

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 09:15 »
I plant them in toilet roll inner tubes (cut in half - 2-4-1 :D) and let them sprout - currently in unheated greenhouse.

Plant them oooh 5-6 inches apart. Net immediately and leave netted. Feed twice with onion fertiliser. :D

Hope this helps

Don't want to go off topic here, but do you remove the toliet roll or just plant it and let it degrade down?  I've thought of doing this myself, but I'm not sure the roll will break down quick enough to allow the onion set to grow properly??

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 09:20 »
A couple of years ago, I visited the Eden Project.

The farmers down in Cornwall had found that they could increase their overall yield by keeping the spacings the same, but plant four at each station.

The size per onion is less, but the yield in total weight is more.

Keeping the spacing wider makes for easier weeding.

Something to consider if you're stuck for space.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 10:00 »
I have an old garden table at the end of my polytunnel.  I used that to dry my shallots last year.  Works wonderfully with the heat from the sun in there.  (When we get some sun that is!)  ;)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 10:40 »
Every year I lose many onions to mildrew. The dark green mildew that finds its way between the freshy leaves  and work it way downwards. (neck rot?) That is despite days and days of drying.

I've had similar problems of mildew despite good drying over nearly 3 weeks or so - some of the bigger bulbs probably the worst but I think that is due to their fleshier size (as in more water).  Last winter I had accidentally left some onion bulbs outside - they were under cover so did not get wet - but it surprised me how well they kept for such a poor storage place.  This winter I hung a toy tidy net under the back door awning and put the onion bulbs outside - they'd been there throughout with all the rain, wind, snow, frost .... you name it but as dry as can be under the awning ... and amazingly they had kept well with no mildew problems at all and very few losses.  I think I'd just taken ventilation to a new level but it seemed to work.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 14:44 »

Hope this helps

Don't want to go off topic here, but do you remove the toliet roll or just plant it and let it degrade down?  I've thought of doing this myself, but I'm not sure the roll will break down quick enough to allow the onion set to grow properly??

It breaks down almost before you plant them out... no probs at all..

Edited to clarify quotes which were wrapped around the reply.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 15:03 by JayG »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

xx
Growing Onion Sets

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 22:30
by solway cropper
xx
Onion sets not growing

Started by wilj1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2020, 07:41
by Missey
xx
Onion sets in modules growing too quick!!

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 30, 2014, 18:33
by Yana
xx
Onion sets growing curly. What's wrong with them?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 06:17
by Yana

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 39 queries.