Anyone sowed tomato seeds yet?

• 57 Replies

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
Re: Anyone sowed tomato seeds yet?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 07:15 »
Haha, me too, mrs mud! Last year I did quite well, had loads of healthy plants in the unheated greenhouse..... And then  all of them went blue in May in the greenhouse. Resowed in May but my tomatoes were generally rubbish compared to the year before.
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 09:03 »
I'd be putting them on my windowsill, and of course with this weather it's none too warm. So I think I'll wait a couple of weeks.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 09:11 »
Unless you house is really cold ( less than 10C), they should be fine on a window sill, with some aluminium foil. That's where mine are.

The main problem is where are you going to put them when they get large? Unless you have heated greenhouse facilities, it is still rather early.

Did I see that someone bought plants?  :ohmy:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 09:17 »
I have a few of different types, plum, gardeners delight, beefsteak and cherry which I germinated indoors, pricked out and are now in a cell tray placed inside a mini plastic greenhouse which is inside my 'frost free' greenhouse.

This worked really well for me last year.  Some remained in large pots in the greenhouse through the summer and some I planted out in the open.  They all did really well.

My chillies have just poked through so will be doing the same with these, but as they are much slower growers, hopefully they will be able to stay indoors for a good while yet until the weather warms up a bit.

I find the aluminium foil really helps to prevent them getting leggy.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 09:30 »
I sowed a tray of toms and peppers last week and a couple have popped through so far.  They're on the warm south windowsil with foil (thanks for the tip DD) and will be transferred to the conservatory once potted on.  Picked up a couple mini plastic greenhouses so they can go out to them once it warms up a bit (if I don't have a proper greenhouse by then).

Last year I grew far too many tomato plants but unless they all germinate, I could be short this year.  Should I give them another week or two to germinate then sow some more if they don't?
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 09:39 »
Give them time, they can be a bit slow.

Another tip, if you're short of plants, is to root the side shoots you pinch out. It's as easy as pie!

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 17:31 »
sowed my seeds yesterday - but they are in the conservatory.  OH has said he doesn't mind!!  ;) Hope he's Ok when they get bigger!
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 17:36 »
Sowed a tray of Moneymaker today. They're in a propagator in the greenhouse. I realise it's still a bit early but will sow some more in about two or three weeks so if it's too cold when the first lot are grown, I can just ditch em in favour of the second lot

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 17:53 »
Please don't take this the wrong way, Alan, but any particular reason why Moneymaker? I (and many others on here), find them one of the blandest tomatoes you can grow.

Trillium

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 18:27 »
I've grown moneymaker as well and found them so tasteless that I vowed never to grow them again. I also find Gardener's Delight a real dud tastewise.

Trillium

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 18:43 »
Got to thinking about tomato varieties and if you're growing them for cooking, try the plum tomatoes which have much less liquid and more pulp so it makes a far superior dish. For fresh slicing, try any of the zebras, purple tomatoes like Paul Robeson or the tangy Jaune Flamme.

True, moneymaker is a heavy producer but I've never understood growing simply for quantity rather than flavour. The season is short enough without waiting for tasteless tomatoes that you can simply buy in the shops.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 19:52 »
My mum has always grown Moneymaker and Gardeners Delight out of habit.  Last year I persuaded to try Sungold and Alicante and she was more than happy with them.  Made a bit of a rod for my own back though as this year she wants to try Orange Paruche (supposed to be better than Sungold).  ::)
San Marzano 2 (plum) were fantastic for saucing last year Trillium, very thin skin and few seeds.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 20:57 »
You see - it's the slippery slope once you wean folk off the bog standard's!

Got a few different ones this year from the HSL, one of which is Brook's Special. No idea what it tastes like - had to have it 'cos it's my surname!  :lol:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 21:04 »
Pea God Brooke? Dave Special? ::) :lol:

Looking forward to your report DD!  :)

Totty

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 22:30 »
Another trick to avoid leggy pale weak plants when in home is to put them somewhere that feels cool. As said before, not below 10 degrees. But somewhere around 10-12 seems just right at this time of year IMO. Lack of light with too much heat = leggy.
Sowed some Shirley, sungold, black prince, tomato berry grande, flamingo in mid jan. have four of each that will stay in heated greenhouse until its warm enough for the cold one. Big sowing of tomatoes will be in first couple of weeks in march.
All chillies, peppers and auberge news up now except for Naga jolokia, never grown them before and they are taking their time.

Totty

xx
tomato seeds

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 22:06
by Yorkie
xx
How many Tomato seeds to sow

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 13, 2018, 12:04
by theothermarg
xx
Now my Tomato seeds have taken

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 11:43
by Kim50
xx
Tomato seeds

Started by Lupin lurcher on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 10:47
by Lupin lurcher

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 37 queries.