Growing plants for chicken food

• 9 Replies

Touché Turtle

Growing plants for chicken food
« on: February 20, 2013, 14:48 »
Hi all,
I would like to start growing some plants especially to feed to my chooks during the winter.

During the summer they freely roam on the grass in my back garden and eat enough just to keep me from having to mow it. However in the winter months while the grass isn't actively growing, they have eaten it all, and are now almost down to bare roots (which I hope will start sprouting soon!). I'd like to supplement their greens by growing plants I can feed them to save the 'lawn'.

I have a medium sized front garden which needs a complete renovation, and had a sudden thought - could I use it to grow chookie dinner?

Some thoughts on ideal candidates....

- Plants which are 'cut-and-come-again, or bushes I can trim would be better ; only original set-up required or minimal maintenance, as I won't have a lot of free time to tend it.

- Things which (obviously) chickens like to eat

- Plants which are not particularly obvious as a vegetable plot. A front garden full of cabbages and tomatoes will get me some funny looks from the neighbours, and I'll likely have anything too yummy-looking going AWOL.

- Plants which will be green during the winter, as that is when they'll be required.

I've no idea if this is an impossible request or not, but I thought I'd ask and see what you could suggest!

Thanks,
TT
Touché Away......!

pepsi100

Re: Growing plants for chicken food
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 16:40 »
Well I hang a cabbage out for mine to peck at, it dont last long, maybe a week, then I replace it when the wife goes shoping, they get a few of the outside leaves of a lettuce when we get one of them, but IF they have a special on Spinach, I grab a couple of bags of that

I also sow chicken grass on half of the run, but I fence that off until I think its worth them eating it (I got a big bag from ebay, could find it anywhere else as cheap)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 17:40 »
I think there are already several threads on this subject so please have a browse

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 18:00 »
I have a large patch of sorrel which is a perennial. We love it in salads and so do the girls.

It grows prolifically through the spring until the the frosts in winter. You have to cover it or the pigeons will get it.

We give the girls the outer leaves of cabbage. and lettuces and the basics range of frozen peas for treats in the winter.

pepsi100

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 18:51 »
Yes you can 'Give peas and chance' it was good enough for John Lennon, but you can give em sweet corn if the Jolly green giant dont catch you  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 19:23 »
Swiss chard 'Bright lights' is really nice to look at, chickens love to eat it and you can treat it as a 'cut and come again' veg. Chard doesn't seem to suffer from pests like cabbages do either.  :)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 19:27 »
not sure whether hens like campanulas but they are good salad plants and attractive for a front garden
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Touché Turtle

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 20:18 »
Thank you for the replies so far, some great suggestions to look into there. I'm liking the non 'veggie' ideas, especially the sorrel, swiss chard and campanulas(will find out if chooks like those!). The girls already get the odd cabbage leaves etc. which are going spare, but not enough to really make a difference.

I believe chickens like comfrey too, so that can go on the list.

Do keep 'em coming please.  :)

grinling

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 21:03 »
put a whole cabbage in, mine prefer spring cabbage (grow all year) and I have spinach and chard in the polytunnel. Most veg will not "grow" over winter unless you can get it undercover and then slowly.
Look for small polytunnel (poundland/wilkinsons etc) and use a couple of them for growing round lettuce and perpetual spinach and grab leaves from each.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 09:44 »
Kale is a good one to grow too as it is winter hardy and is around when other stuff isn't.

xx
Chicken food

Started by Rubellite on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 12:00
by woodburner
xx
chicken food

Started by hennman on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 10:41
by gsc
xx
Chicken food...

Started by Abacus on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 05, 2011, 11:01
by Carla
xx
Chicken food - how much?

Started by Rebecca82 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2007, 09:11
by muntjac

Page created in 1.19 seconds with 37 queries.