How often do you clean ??

• 7 Replies

Rangerkris

• My pic's
How often do you clean ??
« on: February 20, 2013, 13:57 »
We have six shared chooks on the plot now started with eight went up to ten then down to six long story with other plot holders not taking the chooks serious anyway .............

We poo pick every day when we do the water and feed and have been thinking of doing the big clean every four weeks instead of once a week so how often do you give your chooks a big clean ?? If they start to get smelly my wife will want rid of the chickens.
Thanks
Kris

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: How often do you clean ??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 15:20 »
Do you mean for the coop or the run? 

We have a walk in run with roof now so can leave cleaning the run longer than 4 weeks as it stays nice and dry.  It only gets a bit damp if we get driving rain.  I love the new set up, it makes it loads easier for the chicken sitter when we go away as well.

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 16:30 »
I pooh pick the run as and when (but not as often as I should and less so in winter because I'm not home in the light and pooh picking in the dark isn't really that much fun!)

I clean out the coop once a week, replacing all the bedding. In winter if I'm in a rush I may just scape out the worst and add extra bedding one week followed by a more full clear out the next week.  In spring/summer I spray with poultry shield every week, so it always gets completly emptied. I give is a scrub out usually with soda crystal and hot water as and when I feel it needs it, but not that often and don't have a set timescale (and never in winter as it wouldn't ever dry).

Think I'm due a spring clean soon...

Actually my mum said that the animal houses were probably cleaner than our house... not sure how I should take that  :wacko:

Hannah :)

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 17:43 »
We have a covered walk in run and just 3 hens.

I religiously poo pick the run daily and replenish the wood chip as needed. With only 3 girls I have managed to get away with totally replacing the woodchips and scrubbing the slabs underneath just twice in the 12 months I have had it (the last time was after that really wet weather around Christmas, New Year).

I poo pick the hen house & add fresh bedding as required daily. In the cooler six months of the year I totally change the bedding & spray poultry shield etc every 3-4 weeks. In the summer I do this fortnightly.
Helen

grinling

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 20:58 »
Clean out the house depending on who sleeps where 3 days - 1 week, summer time can be more often and depending on whether Speckles egg breaks(thinshelled due to age). House will be taken out of run area and washed down and area dug in spring.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 21:13 »
It sounds like we are doing the same as the rest, good good thanks for your input.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 12:39 »
We try to do a big clean once a month, but we may replace the wood shavings along with a poo pick every week to 2 weeks depending on how bad it is.

The big clean involves using a disinfectant and washing up liquid solution. Then once the coop is dry, painted on DE powder slurry. The coop has a lino floor with sealanted edges which makes cleaning a doddle.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 18:49 »
We poop scoop daily and clean water feeders daily.
We do a weekly clean on a sunday for the house and pellet feeder.
The run gets fresh straw once or twice a month dependent on how wet and smelly it gets.

xx
Big clean out today

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 21:57
by hillfooter
xx
do you have to clean all eggs when you bring them in?

Started by Tigerwren on Chicken Chat

28 Replies
Last post November 20, 2010, 17:28
by chickadizzle
xx
Clean run, Mucky Feathers

Started by rufty on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post December 14, 2013, 16:22
by grinling
wireless
How do I clean dirty vent feathers?

Started by SamT on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 16:44
by joyfull

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 28 queries.