Is the Garlic Fat Lady Singing ?

• 10 Replies

Leeds_Pete

Is the Garlic Fat Lady Singing ?
« on: February 19, 2013, 19:33 »
Evening all,

From a pure novice this time last year, I successfully grew lots of onions, garlic, potatoes and salad "stuff" in my first year in growing my own.  I was amazed I could grow so much more than just weeds.

Question folks re the garlic - I harvested all my garlic ~ mid to end August last year which has lasted up to Christmas time in the cool garage hung up.

I replanted a raised bed full of the cloves I grew back in mid to end Oct, thinking I'll try get the stuff in early.   I also planted winter onions at the same time.

Most of the onions are coming thru well, but the garlic - no sign at all.

Should I be seeing life yet or does it start sprouting very soon. 

Or should I concede defeat and get some more garlic in before the garlic planting window closes.

Thanks so much for time in responding

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Is the Garlic Fat Lady Singing ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 19:37 »
Mine is only just beginning to show through, and there are quite a few gaps - but I think it will be ok once the weather warms up a bit more  ;)

If you are really worried then dig one up - you may find lots of roots but no top growth, which is fine, just replant it.
 At least you'll know whether they're rotting away or not.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 21:55 »
Mum's right - just wait a bit longer, they take longer to appear and need the warmer weather to get going.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 22:07 »
Thanks. I was wondering the same!  My "Music" garlic is up, but not the rest...

Maybe this week I'll sow something else!

Ema

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 22:13 »
My understand is garlic needs a cold dormant period of around 3 months before they start to grow

I have somewhat cheated and put a few supermarket cloves in (yes I know there not disease  resistant but they are UK varieties) these are all sprouted and some are 8 inch high.

crh75

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:02 »
I have somewhat cheated and put a few supermarket cloves in (yes I know there not disease  resistant but they are UK varieties) these are all sprouted and some are 8 inch high.

It's not that they are not disease resistant but the fact that thy may be carrying disease.  One of which is onion white rot, I have this and believe me it is a pain and stays in the soil for 15 years or more!

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:11 »
I do OK with garlic but I recall one year none came up from a January planting, when it got to about May I was fed up so raked the surface and planted some salad stuff, that came and was used and I did it again. About November that bit of ground now bare showed some odd shoots pushing through, in proper spaced lines, I was puzzled a bit then I realised it was garlic. It came on progressively and probably only 1% failed to show and yielded well and was pulled the next autumn and kept well.So about 20 months from planting to pulling - weird.
It is odd stuff but tough.
R

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:16 »
A lot also depends on which variety you are growing - an early variety like Early Purple Wight and Illico can have several inches growth ahead of later ones like Music which on my plot is about an inch high. 

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 13:07 »
I put Marco in at the beginning of January (tub on balcony) and it started to show in early Feb (100% germination). In early Feb I sowed another head in pots (again on balcony) and they have yet to show their faces. From reading all the threads on here about it, I am guessing that patience is the name of the game for this one!

Let us know what you find if you dig one up...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 17:56 »
One short row of garlic is up, the elephantt garlic (a leek sort really  :blink: ) is up

But the other short row cannot yet be seen

It'll be down there somewhere, growing away and then pop up and surprise me  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 21:03 »

It's not that they are not disease resistant but the fact that thy may be carrying disease.  One of which is onion white rot, I have this and believe me it is a pain and stays in the soil for 15 years or more!

White rot is endemic on our site as it was an onion field for twenty years apparently!  I am currently trialling an experiment and growing my onions in raised rows of horticultural sand to see it the drainage and sand helps to reduce the incidence (I usually lose a small percentage of onions and practically all my shallots through white rot, although it doesn't seem to affect garlic as much).

xx
The lady says here comes the snow

Started by Adams-patch on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 11:38
by mattwragg94
xx
Lady Christl

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 23:35
by DD.
xx
Painted Lady

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 08:55
by Muls
xx
Lady Christl...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 24, 2013, 17:42
by Growster...

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 38 queries.