Who has started anything

• 37 Replies

JaneF

• Where there's muck there's veg.
Re: Who has started anything
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 22:33 »
Just Jermor and Red Sun shallots at the mo. Going to be away on holiday soon,  so will start with lots when I come back, otherwise I'll just worry about them otherwise.
Jane F.

Loftuz

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 22:34 »
I've set several variety a of chillies off last week. There in the airing cupboard at the moment. I'm thinking of strting some cabbages off in the next week or so. And some carrots.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 22:50 »
April it will be  :D.  I was wondering too about spacing because of the size / width yours grew as a single plant   :unsure:  Food for thought though if, losses factored in, fewer and wider spacing with room to spread could give as good or better crop with it.  A half and half row?  Meanwhile, I'll stick to nursing my ten amigos when the time comes and hope for one to eat and one to keep :D. Did you decide eventually if it was better as a mangetout - or will time tell come summer?

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 07:48 »
Following construction of polytunnel put some seed potatoes (epicure) in in early January under fleece. Gary S said he did it and had crops in 10 weeks - no sign of them yet. In lean to at the back (unheated) have broad beans in pots and peas showing through, as well as some lettuce, leeks and carrots. Just so cold that nothing is going out side yet. Also lifted some strawberries from ground and put them in trays in polytunnel for an early crop - they appear to be okay. Soon be summer :D

Jim the builder

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 09:54 »
Over wintered onions, garlic and broad beans, just waiting for a frost free day to plant my vines, I was half thinking about getting my first earlies in with the warm weather begining part of this week glad I held off!

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 21:44 »
Finally got my chilly's  in...will try get my sweet peppers in next..

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 12:17 »
I've got about 150 parsnips and the same number of carrots in a cold frame cabinet in newspaper tubes to give them a chance in life. Going to give them a chance to germinate before transferring the entire tubes into the plot whenever that may be. I've got some broad beans in the same place, not a lot of life out of those and they have been in a couple of weeks.  ???
Get a few (half a dozen) lettuces and beetroots in there aswell as I couldn't wait any longer (new year resolution broken already!). Got a few cabbages and caulis in there aswell that have shown signs of life.
Pototatoes have been chitting for about 4 weeks now in the conservatory.
Conservatory windowsills full of approx 15 tomatoes of various types, half a dozen chillies of different types, a few aubergines and a couple of gherkins potted a couple of nights ago as I had the urge to break the new years resolution again! Will keep these indoors and see what happens.

The Hairy Pumpkins

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 12:03 »
So far we have started Tomatoes, Chillis, Peppers, edible Physalis sp (tomatillo. inca berry, golden berry etc) indoors under artificial light in small deep square modular trays, Onions and Leeks have surfaced in the heated propagator, Potatoes are chitting away nicely and in the airing cupboard....in washed out clear plastic humous tubs lined with wet kitchen roll we are trying to break the dormancy of a different array of Rubus sp to experiment with that have previously been subjected to months of stratification.

In the ground we have our Broad Beans, Garlic, Spring Cabbage (all over wintered) and a few remaining Leeks and Brussels Sprouts yet to harvest.

Yesterday we had the back breaking excercise of barrowing out 4000 cubic litres of matured compost onto the Beds......tomorrow its cuttings, potting on some Toms and bulb planting.......game on.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:10 by The Hairy Pumpkins »

xx
I've started

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 12, 2017, 10:33
by Barry C
xx
Getting Started...HELP!

Started by Classybird on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 00:55
by grendel
clip
Getting Started

Started by Silva on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 06:50
by Silva
xx
Getting Started!

Started by Vickie & Richard on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 16:57
by Vickie & Richard

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 36 queries.