6 Grow Bags - How do I get as many Potatoes as possible

• 8 Replies

lywcos

6 Grow Bags - How do I get as many Potatoes as possible
« on: February 17, 2013, 22:51 »
Hi all,

I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now and really finding the advice valuable.

My question is, if you had 6 grow bags and wanted to get the best crops throughout the season, what varieties would you plant, how many and when?

Bag 1)
Bag 2)
Bag 3)
Bag 4)
Bag 5)
Bag 6)

Also I have a green house. Am I better to start any of the crops off in the greenhouse?

Thanks in advance  :)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: 6 Grow Bags - How do I get as many Potatoes as possible
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 23:18 »
Your post is about as many potatoes as possible then you change to crops... what do you actually mean? What do YOU want to grow?

Potatoes are not meant for growbags.. in containers yes...

Why dont you pop in to the introduce yourself and say a few words about yourself so we know what you grow etc. and add your location to your profile so we can see where you are..
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 23:20 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Totty

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 23:22 »
Start the first couple off in a greenhouse shortly if I were you. Just make sure you are prepared to cover them, even if in the greenhouse, if we get hard frosts. Maybe plant 3 per grow bag I may go for Charlotte and international kidney. To be honest I don't very often grow main crop because of the room they take up and the cost of spuds so taste is more important than yield with tatties.
Lady cristal, pink fur apple are good too. Kestrel will yield good flavour and look nice too.

Totty

lywcos

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 23:40 »
Thanks for the replies.

To clarify what I mean, I would like to know the best varieties to plant and when in order to get the best returns. I've picked up some potato grow bags today so assume they are ok for potatoes?

Thanks for the advice on the variety's to try. How do the main crop take up more room? I've been told in the grow bags to plant 3 seeds per bag. Is this usually different for the main crop?

Thanks for the advice, learning every day

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 01:09 »
My question is, if you had 6 grow bags
We grow mostly in bags, and if we only had six bags and push came to shove, I'd choose ......
1&2: Arran pilot and/or lady christl
3&4: Charlotte
5&6 Kestrel (2nd early grown on)

All the above have done well in bags and keep well (there's more but you only wanted six!) 5 seeds per 30-40ltr bag.  I don't do early greenhouse sowings.

Bags can be placed close together, though shaws will spread, but maincrop has been hit and miss eg Desiree has proved more of a challenge that I'm working on......

I don't know where you are, but here we plant outside the first 2 weeks in April, weather permitting
Edit: location query
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:16 by shoozie »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 06:41 »
I'd agree with what has been said so far about maincrops.  They are not easy to grow in bags and I think you may be disappointed with the return on these. 

When you plant spuds in the ground the spacing for main crops is much wider than for earlies and so if you translate this to your bags, they are bigger plants that need more room, so will do less well in a confined space.

First and second earlies are easier and planting density will depend on the volume of compost your bags take.  Do you have an idea of what this might be?

I have some first earlies this year to start in the greenhouse for an early crop.  They are very different to eat when freshly harvested so well worth growing  :)

lywcos

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 07:19 »
That's some great advice thank you.

I live in Bristol and the bags are 35x35x45.

I think I'll pot the bags up with the first and second earlies and save the main crop for over the plot.

Cheers!

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:16 »

Potatoes are not meant for growbags.. in containers yes...

By "grow bags" I thought you meant the long tomato etc. type...

I wouldn't bother with main crop spuds - they are so cheap in the shops so not really worth it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:17 by gavinjconway »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 15:50 »
Those bags are quite small lywcos, so I would say 3 seed spuds max if you are growing the small first earlies and 2 if you are growing the bigger second earlies like Charlotte or Kestral.

Shoozy recommended you some good ones there.  By coincidence I have both of these this year as well  :) 

Whatever you end up choosing, the foliage needs to be protected from frost, so if you want an early start, use your greenhouse and be ready with the fleece  :)

xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
Grow bags

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2019, 17:11
by casper
xx
grow bags

Started by sheba on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 19:04
by fatcat1955
xx
Grow bags

Started by lincspoacher on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 14:13
by Island Girls

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 37 queries.