Bed dimensions

• 16 Replies

Ema

Bed dimensions
« on: February 16, 2013, 23:27 »
I'm planning on having set beds on at least 1/4 of the plot. I know there not as producing as using all the space but I'd really like to have some defined beds.

I was planning on having them 1.2m wide by 4m. Form experience do any of you think this is too wide?

Did think about leaving the paths as grass but I'm a bit peeved with grass at the moment so will have a think about what else to use for paths. How wide are your paths? wide enough to stand on or to kneel down on facing the beds?

BacktoBasics

Re: Bed dimensions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 23:37 »
I think 1.2m is about the widest you can get away with provided you can get all the way round meaning your furthest reach is 60cm. would also recommend your path is wide enoug for kneeling - a mistake I won't repeat!

cadalot

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:44 »
My plan is a 600 wide path down the centre of my plot with 1.2m wide beds (recommeded in al the books I've read) x 2.4m long with 450mm in between the beds - I have a kneeling pad with arms as my knee is knackered and I need the help getting up and down.

I'm hoping 450mm will be wide enough between beds, from experiance what do you think BacktoBasics ? 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 19:14 by cadalot »

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:23 »
1.2 Mts. wide is a good width for a bed. If constructing beds side by side its worth making the paths between them wide enough to accommodate a wheelbarrow so about 750mm wide.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:33 »
the length from my toe to my knee when kneeling, gives the minimum width for paths here  ;)

BacktoBasics

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:13 »
the length from my toe to my knee when kneeling, gives the minimum width for paths here  ;)

exactly!

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 12:38 »
Ummm so 550 - 600mm should do it :)

Ema

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 18:25 »
Thanks for all the help much appreciated. I'll have to measure my partners toe to knee length next time I see him don't want any excuses about the paths not being wide enough
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 23:13 by Ema »

Hunter32

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 15:49 »
Dimensions are good if it is ok got get those bed easily from the market... If it is not available then you have to make order and wait until its completion which may be time consuming for you...

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 16:05 »
Mine are 4.8m x 1.2m and getting to the middle is ok from the paths though more complicated when plants are in. I'm 5ft9 with long arms and demolished some beans by overbalancing last year...  :D 

I'm replacing grass path with woodchip this year - grass paths are pretty but they take mowing,  get weed-infested quickly - at least mine do, and are v squelchy at this time of year..Path width varies at the moment hopefully will be toe-to-knee by the end of the season, plus wheelbarrow width down the middle

PS my  knees are shot too!

Ema

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 23:17 »
I think some of my paths will stay couch grass this year unless we get lots of just right for digging weather. All my paths so far are 0.5 I could comfortably sit in my friends paths at a slight angle and theirs are 0.45 I'm not planning to put timber frames around them so the odd knee in the bed wont matter too much. The main drag will be muh wider maybe a meter to allow for some sitting down and wheel barrow space

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 06:15 »
I've ended up with a little more plot than I anticipated as once the brambles have gone its a slightly longer and a different shape than I had drawn - so all paths are now 600mm and I have the same amount of growning space.

I'm dugging and removing the couch from the paths as well as the beds coz it's just crazy not too - I have woodchip piled up and waiting in the wings for some dry weather to allow me to dig

Totty

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 14:36 »
My beds are 2.4m square. I have a piece of 10x4 which is slightly more than 2.4 so I put that on top of the timber beds to walk across and means I have a perfect edge to plant along. I may have to put one foot on the soil now and again if I'm fiddling about with plants right in the middle but am able to hoe and dig it without standing on he soil at all. Am quite tall mind you.  ;)

snow white

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 20:55 »
My beds are 1.2 m wide and 5.2m long.  Now the length is fine but I find them a bit too wide for me so next year I will reduce them to 1m wide.  I am a woman 5ft 3 " tall.  I intend to make my paths a bit wider they are 40cm wide which I thought would be plenty but they need to be at least 60cm.  They will suffice for this year though.  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 21:08 »
I've divided my plots in to 3 beds around 5ft wide as that seemed to make the best use of the space & also allow Mr S in with the rotovator. The paths started off just walked on soil,then got covered in weed suppressant membrane,now getting followed by slabs as & when I can.
24042011119.jpg
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 37 queries.