Potatoes.

• 7 Replies

veggies

Potatoes.
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:47 »
Hi all, having not grown any veg etc last year due to not having time due to work and young family, I have a quick question on grown potatoes, last time I tried to grow them it was in a recycling box fro the wheelie bin, thought it was a little on the small side, this year I am going to buy 2/3 black plastice/rubber bins which are about 3ft high and 18" dia, drainage holes etc, rocks gravel and compost, I'm I right is saying to plant them around middle march for the 1st bin, 2 weeks after for bin 3 and another 2 weeks for 3rd, I was going to use old potatoes that have started growing and cutting them into 3rds, with limited space for now due to family garden do they need much sun light or a shaded area. Am I lightly to get many spuds from my bins, sick of the prices going up,up and up,.

Thanks for replies
Paul.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Potatoes.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:36 »
Couple of points to consider, Paul

1. By the time you have paid for your compost you might not find growing potatoes in bags quite so economical.

2. You won't need rocks or gravel

3. You can plant them all at the same time: the ones that get left longer just give larger potatoes

4. Can you add your locality to your profile please so we can see roughly where you live. I plant potatoes out around mid March - as you can see I live in Reading - but those further north would leave it until later

5. Mostly it is wise to avoid supermarket potatoes to grow from, as they are not certified disease free. In tubs it could be OK but make sure you never put the spent compost on any potato or tomato plants in the future, just to be sure

6. The yield is dependent on variety and growing conditions. Mostly you would get 16-12 potatoes per tuber as an average

Hope that all helps
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

veggies

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 09:49 »
Hi there I will add my location just now, I live up north Sunderland, thanks for a reply, sound like I'm not going to get many tattles then, around 45 in total, if you where me then would you not bother grown them?.

homegrown

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:57 »
3 bins that size u cud plant 4 seed potatoes in each

12 potatoes could get u 100 odd spuds
Iv read some tips to plant 3 potatoes then add 6 inch soil then 2 more potatoes then more soil
Upto u but id say 3 to 4 per dustbin. 

Full sunlight
Great fun tho growing them and getting a good end result

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 10:05 »
Potatoes can do very well grown in containers if fed and watered properly, but at the end of the day it's a numbers game, the most significant number probably being the cost of the compost.

If you have to buy it I doubt very much whether you would save much if anything compared with shop-bought, but then again many people grow them mainly because they get a lot of pleasure from growing their own chemical-free produce.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 10:11 »
this year I am only going to grow a few potatoes in the allotment, and more in containers.

it is true that by the time you buy the compost there is probably no financial gain, but come June when you are feeling into the compost and picking new pototoes off the root, cooking and eating 20 minutes later, i assure you this will not be a consideration(mouth watering just typing this ::)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:26 »
I've always found the yield in containers reduced from that in the ground - make sure you water really well when the tubers are swelling, and fertilise too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

veggies

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 13:06 »
Thanks for all the info, all taken aboard ;)

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
My potatoes

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 22:58
by Rich72

Page created in 0.556 seconds with 37 queries.