strimming

• 3 Replies

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
strimming
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:09 »
Hi everyone,

I'm dragging my OH to the allotment today to do some strimming for me  :) Just wondering what's the best way to deal with the cut top growth? (there will be quite a lot of it).

Bagging it up will take ages and good few trips to the council tip.  Would you just heap it up, cover and let it rot down?  Haven't got compost bins made yet as I need to clear the site first.

cadalot

Re: strimming
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:23 »
I put a pallet on the ground so the air could flow under it, and pallets around to contain the weed cut down growth and one on top then put a tarp over two sides and the top to keep the rain off when I was not there and burnt it.

The rest went in piles under tarps when I left site to keep the rain off and were uncovered when I was there and it was dry.

As I empty the drynig bin, I fill it again from the pile either side

I'm on my last bin load to go into a couple of incinerators and I've kept the ash to use on the soil later.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 08:39 »
Yes, you can leave the whole lot to rot down.  Cover the heap and it will rot down but not much this time of year. When the sun beats down it will go much faster. By then you will have some compost bins (or pallet bins) and then you can transfer the rotting material into that (those) to finish off the composting process

Or dry and burn as and when you can have a fire without bothering anyone (check your site rules though as not all allow it)  :)

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 14:14 »
Our Council are so sensible you can only have a fire during the winter months when they have turned the water off!

xx
Strimming onions

Started by Baz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2007, 08:54
by corndolly
xx
Strimming is good for slimming

Started by oakridge on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 21, 2015, 09:24
by oakridge

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 28 queries.