eating grapes

• 21 Replies

Juli

eating grapes
« on: February 15, 2013, 11:28 »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good eating grape to grow in the UK? I would like one with few (if any) seeds and thin skins.

cadalot

Re: eating grapes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 12:07 »
I'm also looking for recommendations for some that will gown on the wall at my allotments.

Juli

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 12:15 »
Hmm, the RHS website says that eating grapes have to be grown in a greenhouse in this country. Is that true? Is it even worth trying? I have a south facing fence to grow against, so ideal conditions, but am I likely to get anything better than inferior hard-skinned sour grapes? Would I be better off growing something else that's more likely to succeed?

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 14:02 »
Himrod and Mars are two seedless eating grapes that will do well in the UK according to THIS article.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 16:01 »
Couldn't pick out a specific variety, several are listed, but have a look at Chris Bowers site:
http://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/category/grape-vines/

Have a list of several that the brief description implies OK for UK - one is seedless: Lakemont Seedless Grape Vine.

Best looks like Queen Of Esther Grape Vine, early variety and also say good for the North.
The Dorndfelder Grape Vine also sounds suitable.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 16:06 »
I grow Madeleine Sylvana grape on a south facing pergola in my garden.  It isn't seedless but is delicious.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 18:20 »
Hmm, the RHS website says that eating grapes have to be grown in a greenhouse in this country. Is that true? Is it even worth trying? I have a south facing fence to grow against, so ideal conditions, but am I likely to get anything better than inferior hard-skinned sour grapes? Would I be better off growing something else that's more likely to succeed?

I wouldn't take everything the RHS says as gospel. The successes and failures of people on this forum will make for better reading for you. I have seen grapes grown to full ripeness outside in the UK in quite a few locations aswell as kiwi, olives, hemp, tea and other things that used to be deemed unsuitable for conditions here. The specific conditions of your site will have as big an influence as your location

I think I'm right in saying that grapes grown indoors need to be planted outside and coaxed through your wall/glass/tunnel. Something to do with the roots needing a period of a certain colder temperature to be successful in the following year, someone will know some more accurate details about that I'm sure

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 23:41 »
I'm after a vine too.

Frankly, I'm after the leaves for Dolmades.
I used to be able to help myself to a fellow plot holders vine leaves (they had a wine grape on their plot which was really REALLY sour) but now they've cut it down and dug it up so I'll have to grow my own!

I'd like eating grapes too though. :)

cadalot

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 07:29 »
I've found this BBC guidance page with how to set them up against a wall outside and five to try suggestions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growinggrapevines1.shtml

Vitis vinifera 'Perlette' - green seedless fruit. Outdoors
Vitis vinifera 'Schiava Grossa' (Black Hamburgh) - dessert variety with dark purple fruit with a white bloom. Best indoors
Vitis vinifera 'Muscat of Alexandria' - fine-flavoured green dessert grape. Indoors
Vitis vinifera 'Siegerrebe' - white grape for eating or wine. Outdoors
Vitis vinifera 'Regent' - wine or dessert grape with good autumn colour. Outdoors

Link to information about the "Perette" which takes my fancy as it's seedless

http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_a964-2.html

Now to find out where to buy one?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:38 by cadalot »

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 15:09 »
Brant produces a good crop compaired to a few others and they look beutiful to, outdoors.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 22:03 »
I'm after a vine too.

Frankly, I'm after the leaves for Dolmades.
I used to be able to help myself to a fellow plot holders vine leaves (they had a wine grape on their plot which was really REALLY sour) but now they've cut it down and dug it up so I'll have to grow my own!

I'd like eating grapes too though. :)

You have just reminded me, I blanched and froze a load of these last summer!  I am sure they are languishing somewhere at the bottom of the chest freezer (oops!)

Juli

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 11:29 »
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have chosen the following on the Groves Nurseries website, based on wanting ideally seedless thin-skinned eating grapes. Does anyone have any comments on these before I go ahead and order them?

I'm planning to train them against a south-facing fence, and I'm in Oxfordshire. Do you think they'll do alright?

Grape Vine Lakemont Golden Seedless Dessert
http://www.grovesnurseries.co.uk/products/grape-vine-lakemont-golden-seedless-dessert-10102.aspx#.USI5cKW-18E

Grape Vine Flame Red Seedless Dessert
http://www.grovesnurseries.co.uk/products/grape-vine-flame-red-seedless-dessert-10100.aspx#.USI5cqW-18E

Grape Vine Chasselas Rose Royal Dessert
http://www.grovesnurseries.co.uk/products/grape-vine-chasselas-rose-royal-dessert-13740.aspx#.USI5c6W-18E

Grape Vine Phoenix White- Winemaking or Dessert
http://www.grovesnurseries.co.uk/products/grape-vine-phoenix-white-winemaking-or-dessert-10104.aspx#.USI5daW-18E
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 14:25 by Juli »

Juli

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 15:50 »
Shall I take silence to mean no objections?  ;)

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 16:09 »
Growing grapes outside in very hit and miss, some seasons you get vast amounts of Fruits, that doesn't ever ripen, other years very little fruit but sweet as you like. I've grown Vitis vinifera 'Schiava Grossa' (Black Hamburgh)  in my garden (sheltered and against a thick white painted concrete wall)for 10 years grew like a weed and needed a lot of pruning. Birds love the un-ripe grapes and leave purple stains everywhere. I've two gallons of Wine waiting to de-haze from last years grapes.
I planted it on a pile of Brick rubble on 12 inches of clay, and it managed to grow as I said like a weed.
small scale gardener, large scale eater

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 18:10 »
Shall I take silence to mean no objections?  ;)

You could just take it as meaning that many people are at work during the day and don't have time or access to the forum to either research the options you've put forward or to answer  :wub:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Grapes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2019, 10:34
by mumofstig
clip
Grapes

4 Replies
Last post September 25, 2023, 20:04
by Yorkie
clip
Grapes

2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2019, 21:15
by jambop
clip
Grapes

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2019, 10:29
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.732 seconds with 38 queries.