Chitting Advice

• 41 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Chitting Advice
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 11:04 »
The rule is in the light and frost free - everything else is just peoples best efforts at providing those conditions within their own situation.

Dark and warm (airing cupboard) is exactly what they don't need! They would make long, white, weak and spindly shoots  :ohmy:

Salmo

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 11:11 »
Returning to cutting seed potatoes.

When you have cut them, put them somewhere reasonably warm for a day or so and the surface will soon dry and seal itself. They can then be returned to wherever they were chitting.

The thing not to do is to wait until you get to the plot before cutting, and then plant immidiately when the surfaces are still wet. They will probably rot.

HuwG

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 17:46 »
Which channel was the program on and do th have an app like bbc Iplayer that can be used to watch it? Might be of benefit to us over the Irish sea

Eblana

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 20:41 »
It was Dermot O'Neills Secret Garden, a beautiful program about a walled garden that he is developing while he fights cancer.  It was on RTE 1 - they do have an iPlayer but I don't know if it will work on computers with UK IP address's (we can't get BBC iPlayer on our computers - I have to log in to the BBC one in work because our servers are in the UK and it sees my computer as being there as well and will let me see it).

Rexmundi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 19:06 »
I have my seed potatoes in an egg box. Do you just let them be? Or should I be turning them periodically? All the shoots seem to be appearing on the bottom of each and i'm not sure if these are roots or shoots that are being produced.
Thanks

Scotland, 95% pure Scottish since 08/05/2015

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 19:13 »
If they're on the bottom, they're the wrong way up!

Stick them up the right way and you won't need to turn them again.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 19:30 »
I thought I had all of mine the right way up, but no, there are always some awkward beggars that need turning  :nowink:

BLOOMING LOVELY

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 12:40 »
Hope this isn't 'how long is a piece of string' my spuds are on the windowsill in my unheated bedroom and have been for over two weeks but haven't seen any movement yet. Am I being a tad impatient? Thank you
My memory isn't as sharp as it used to be, also my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be

Rexmundi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 12:53 »
Bought my seeds from Dobbies (can't remember the variety and have discarded the wrappers)  :nowink:

They have been on a sill of a north facing top hall window for what will be 2 weeks this Saturday. I have spotted very small signs that something is happening (pin size green dots) on some of them. Had I not seen these growths developing, think I would have been posting the same question as you BLOOMING LOVELY.

I'm guessing it will depend on the variety and how cold/warm your bedroom is. Any advice I have read states it can take around 4-6 weeks for potatoes to chit. I reckon I'll be at least another 4/5 weeks before I can get mine in the ground.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 13:03 by Rexmundi »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 17:39 »
Rexmundi is right.

It depends on the variety (some produce more / longer / earlier chits than others), light and temperature.

Don't fret.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

crh75

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2013, 12:24 »
I may have miss-understood you Rexmundi, so apologies if I have.  You do not need to wait for the chits to be of a certain size before planting out.  Plant then when the time is right weather-wise.

Rexmundi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2013, 12:34 »
I may have miss-understood you Rexmundi, so apologies if I have.  You do not need to wait for the chits to be of a certain size before planting out.  Plant then when the time is right weather-wise.

Many thanks! You have prevented me asking a question I would have probably asked in a few weeks time  :D

xx
Spud chitting advice

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 15, 2019, 08:54
by mumofstig
xx
Potato chitting advice please

Started by Hawkins on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 19:47
by MARROW HEAD
xx
Newbie needs advice on chitting!

Started by skywalker on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 15, 2007, 08:29
by Sadgit
xx
chitting

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2013, 21:52
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.737 seconds with 38 queries.