Your opinions on the brands of compost you have bought - 2013

• 136 Replies

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
Re: Your opinions on the brands of compost you have bought - 2013
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2013, 23:07 »
Lidl large bag compost . £2.50 . Fine and good quality. Got two bags so far this year and both equally good.
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

Willow_Warren

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2013, 12:48 »
Well I bought 2 bags of J Arthur Bowers 56L compost the other weekend - they were BOGOF via a voucher so £4.99 for the 2.  Opened it last night and the compost is very dark and clumpy with lots (and I do mean a lot, it looks speckled!) of light brown what I can only describe of chips of week.  Small but not that small!  Tried to sieve it for using sowing seeds but I ended up with more retained than was passing though the sieve!

Not sure what to do with it now? Is it any good for anything?  I will try and get a photo this evening.

I did a search and found someone had the exact same problem last year.

Off to buy a replacement for seed sowing this lunchtime.

Hannah :)

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
Clover Compost - First Look
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2013, 16:19 »
Hello,

Ive looked over here and found a few select people have said how great clover compost and funny enough some guy buys a pallet over in Hatfield Heath and sells for £5 per bag and on opening im loving how nice this is. Much better than other brands ive tested in last 6 months.
Kind Regards
Bill

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2013, 18:18 »
Bought a bag of verve sowing and cutting compost today, i have to say it looks fantastic, nice and fine with no hard bits in, reminds me of ripped open used tea bags (which ive used for lettuce seeds before with good results). :)

gypsy

« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2013, 20:39 »
I find bags of compost too heavy to lift so buy grow bags instead. I bought B&Q grow bags this yr, there is quite a lot of twiggy bits and some shredded plastic, it is too course to sieve for seeds but will be ok for toms and cucumbers.
Catherine

harrymac

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2013, 22:15 »
b+q verve grow bags 5 for the price of 4 and it has just come second it the which? best buys for seed sowing.
I got some of this on the basis of the Which Gardening recommendation, and have been pleased with the results on my tomato and pepper seedlings.

I then bought some of the peat-free Verve grow bags which were recommended for container plants, but I wished I hadn't. It's far too course for my liking, and after sieving I was left with bits of uncomposted wood.  I won't be buying it again despite Which Gardening's recommendation. Either I've been unlucky and got an old bag with an old formula, or the formula has changed for the worst since their trials.

AnneB

« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2013, 22:37 »
Bought some Levington's multipurpose with John Innes for my mum, who got Shamrock last year and wanted to avoid it this year as last year's was full of stones.  Well the Levington's was a great success, it looks to be lovely stuff.   At the moment I don't need new supplies myself.

Steveharford

« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2013, 19:09 »
Bought Godwins last year and seemed to do ok so bought some more today. Pretty fibrous although fine fibres so not a problem for potting on. A good heavy bag at 70 lit so not all peat as it wasn't particularly wet. Smelt sweet and is quite crumbly with no big twigs or anything like that.
At 3 for a tenner I am more than happy with it. Will be getting another six for my baskets and tomatoes at the weekend.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2013, 20:23 »
B and Q Verve with peat. Beautiful stuff, light very few bits and three bags for 12 squids. :)

Ema

« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2013, 11:51 »
I have brought 6 bags of Westlands grow bags for seedlings this year. 2 for £4 in my local tesco (sorry garden centres) I noticed in the Bristol tesco these bags are 3 for £10!!

1st bag was lovely, very light fluffy compost
2nd bag twiggy and hard lumps yuck!
3rd bag ok quite fine nothing special
Rest are unopened and will be used for potting up toms

Complete lack of constistancy would put me off buying again

Beetroot queen

« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2013, 13:42 »
Lidl large bag compost . £2.50 . Fine and good quality. Got two bags so far this year and both equally good.

I did this outof shear desperation when I couldn't get anywhere else. We have used five bags and although some is a bit twiggy all my seeds seem to be doing fine in it.  :D cheap and works. Bargain.

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2013, 03:44 »
We bought the B&Q grow bags as recommended by Which? and have been disappointed. Too fluffy, difficult to hydrate and leaves horrid slime on surface.
Probably shows that you pay for what you get and worth paying a little more!

Steveharford

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2013, 06:21 »
Had to buy more compost and succumbed to buying several 120 lit B&Q verve compost. Initially reluctant after some of the comments here about glass and other rubbish etc being fond in it, but took the chance as I like the big bales. Well I was very presently surprised. The compost was compacted but very easily broken up as it was so crumbly. No rubbish, no twigs, just good textured compost. As with any compost it is impossible to know the quantity of nutrients contained of course, but I will definitely be buying again.

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2013, 09:14 »
I think the bigger bags are fine, it's just the Which? report said the grow bags were great for seed sowing, which they are not.

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2013, 21:08 »
B&Q Verve Multi purpose 120l
The first few bags I sieved for seeds and got good germination results, I'm now using it for potting on. I've found a few twiggy bits when I was sieving but overall it's crumbly and good to work with!
And better still it's cheap!! :)

xx
I think I've bought some duff compost

Started by cathy81walking on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 20:36
by pipfit
xx
Can shop bought compost go off?

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 07:57
by fatcat1955
xx
which compost have you bought 2012

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

211 Replies
Last post October 06, 2012, 20:13
by sonnycbr
question
shop-bought compost

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2014, 01:28
by Paul Plots

Page created in 1.133 seconds with 36 queries.