First time allotment holder

• 12 Replies

Stortgrower

First time allotment holder
« on: February 10, 2013, 17:51 »
I've just got my first allotment of 5 rods in length an I'm not sure what crops to grow an how many packets of seeds I need. I have been planting at home in raised beds 3 feet square so this is all new to me.
T.Hubbard.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: First time allotment holder
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 18:01 »
There are many articles about growing fruit and veg in the main part of this forum and you need to do some serious homework and planning - how much of (and which) seeds you require obviously depends on what you actually want to grow and eat, and the spacing each crop requires.

Welcome to the forums and enjoy your plot!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 18:46 »
welcome to the forum..

first bit of advice, slow and steady..you cant do a whole allotment in one go.

packs of seeds, i would suggest 1 of what you and your family like to eat to start with, you can always get more if necessary, but the average quantitys are normally shown on the seed packet and if it says1000 carrot seeds, you wont need all them.

i must say i dont follow my own advice here..i reckon ive got 3 packets of onion seeds and 50 sets to find room for.

gold luck, and remember it is supposed to be enjoyable .. :lol:

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 19:17 »
As has been said, grow what you and your family eat.  Spinach, herbs, courgettes, beans, salads and soft fruit are all good bets as they are all so over priced in the supermarkets, yet easy to grow.  Otherwise, I would say concentrate on crops that actually taste better homegrown - tomatoes, peas, potatoes, carrots.

Then anything else you have room for.

I would recommend planting a few flowers to encourage pollinators - poach egg plants, daisies, cosmos (if you have room), nasturtiums, calendula, marigolds, sweet peas, etc.

Don't try to do too much - it took my husband and I two years to get control of our 5 rod plot.  Having just taken another one on last year, we are still only half way through sorting it.  

Decide on what you have time to do - if you don't have time to look after paths, then cover then and mulch to avoid having to do that work and concentrate on what you have time to do.

Cover over any areas with weighted cardboard or weed suppressing fabric to weaken weeds before tackling those areas.

Most important of all, enjoy it.  It's pointless taking on an allotment unless you love being there!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 21:45 »
I find if you grow a few more plants than you need (in case you lose a few) you'll find your site probably has a plant swap programme for any excess plants you don't need.
We have a plant swap table - anything on it is first-come-first-served. :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 21:56 »
Hello - and well done - exciting, isn't it?!

In addition to the advice above, I'd get either some graph paper or onto Excel and try and work out the spacings for things you think you want to grow. There are sites that help you do that, if you don't mind paying after the free bit expires.

It takes a bit of time, but at this time of year you have lots before the season starts.

And don't worry about growing everything in the first year.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 22:02 »
I keep an allotment journal so I plan everything out in the winter. I choose my varieties of fruit and veg and work out how much I need. Helps to keep the winter blues at bay. :)
I rotate most crops each year and my plans from the previous years help with that.

Also I judge what I grow so if a particular variety is poor, I don't buy it again. Or like with caulis - after 3 seasons, 3 attempts, 3 failures - bu***r it! :D

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 22:20 »
my first mistake was growing (or trying to grow) exotic veg which didn't yield much and what did grow my family turned their nose up to.  grow what you like to eat simples

yaxley

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 22:27 »
Hello and welcome this is a great forum i,ve gained so much knowledge from here as others have said dont matter if you dont use all your plot and grow what you like to eat i only started last year and had a good time and grew some nice stuff with help from some of the posts i had read on here ...
Grow organic as nature intended

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 23:45 »
I had an empty uncultivated patch for 2 seasons before I had the cash to develop the top half into 7 square beds.

An allotment takes time. Mine's still not quite the perfection I'd like and I'm in my 9th year on the site!
My shed is falling to bits and I'd like a new one.
My polytunnel stayed up for 3 weeks before I found it in the plot next door (luckily it's rather wild - she looks after hedgehogs and things :D) so that was that!

Don't worry about time or errors - we learn by them. Allotment gardening is leisure gardening (as my previous Committee seemed to forget at times ::) )

Enjoy yourself Stortgrower :)

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 11:59 »
Congratulations on your allotment and welcome to the site, as said already sow what you eat, follow sowing guidelines and dont sow to early, it usely ends in disapointment.
Take your time preparing your plot, you cant do it in one go but you can do your back in one go.
Have fun its so rewarding when your seeds start to grow and even more rewarding when you get to eat what you have grown.

stuart curran

• bargain basement gardener
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 12:53 »
allotments are friendly places in the norm. so take a walk around see what others are doing and be outgoing and introduce your self to everyone you see on the other plots and hunt out those old timers they have a lot of knowledge locked up in those heads and there sheds normally have a kettle on the go.
 And  take note what every one is telling you  ONLY DO A LITTLE BIT AT A TIME 
its the biggest mistake a new gardener can make trying to keep up with your neighbours who have been there a long time and do not get to upset when somethings fail even the oldest wisest gardeners have failures even lord Tichmarsh  and count Montydon

JohnB47

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 15:04 »
One other bit of advice that I think hasn't been mentioned yet - don't be too keen to dig out existing perennials - fruit bushes/rhubarb plants etc. They may well give you a good crop until your own chosen varieties are planted and are up and running.

xx
Hello from a new allotment holder!

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 05, 2010, 15:22
by inosnofing
xx
New allotment holder

Started by Kingstown_peter on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 14:08
by stompy
question
Advice for new allotment holder

Started by Juliek1313 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 23:58
by Juliek1313
xx
give new allotment holder,tips please,

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 18:44
by jolly jen

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 38 queries.