Raspberries, Octavia

• 3 Replies

thumperrabbit

Raspberries, Octavia
« on: February 07, 2013, 13:30 »
Last year in May I planted 10 canes of Octavia Raspberries. They did grow last year but did not crop. What do I do with them this year? They are currenty about 2ft high wafting in the wind. Do I prune them back down to the ground or do I tie them up and support them in some way? Also, when would I feed them with what?

Many thanks, I am a complete novice.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberries, Octavia
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 15:25 »
Apparently Octavia is a late summer-fruiting variety (just to introduce the possibility of confusion with autumn raspberries  ::)), but they are treated just like other summer varieties.

The good news is you have done the right thing so far - the canes that grew last year should produce berries in late summer; these are cut down after fruiting to leave the new ones which hopefully will have grown to replace them, and in turn fruit next year.

Summer raspberries are usually supported because they have to stand for a long time without damage before they get to do their stuff - a couple of strings or wires either side of the row usually does the trick.

A general purpose feed in spring will help them along, as will mulching which helps to keep the roots cool and conserves moisture in the soil.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 15:37 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

SkyeEnt

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 23:05 »
2 ft doesn't sound that high for raspberries.  You don't say where you are growing them.  I would suggest that you may want to prune out some canes to near ground level so that you leave a strong one every 4 inches or so to bear fruit this summer.  This means that they will not be too congested.  Mulching with organic material such as a thinnish layer of grass clippings will help keep weeds away and feed the canes.

thumperrabbit

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 08:07 »
Thanks for the replies. They are in a sunny sheltered spot, heres hoping for fruit this year!

xx
Raspberries

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 15:25
by lacewing
xx
Raspberries

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 16, 2021, 13:14
by mumofstig
xx
Raspberries

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2018, 11:25
by New shoot
xx
Raspberries ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2007, 13:39
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.615 seconds with 37 queries.