Chicken out at night.

• 5 Replies

Pat4d

Chicken out at night.
« on: February 07, 2013, 10:44 »
The evenings for the chickens go along the lines of being locked in their walk in run about 3:30 with some corn in their food pots.
10 pm when the dog goes out I go out and close the coop door to stop the draught.

Last night when I went to close the door my head hen Bas was outside and a bit confused, she was a bit messy and I thought she had prolapsed but checked and all was ok it was squashed egg. I put her back in the coop and this morning she was right as rain.

In the coop this morning was a shell less egg, would you agree that she probably was bunged up, needed to shift one last night and went out to do it and the on this morning is the follow up not properly formed?

I don't think there is anything to be concerned about but your opinions would be appreciated.

helens-hens

Re: Chicken out at night.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 13:11 »
I wouldn't worry too much at the moment, just keep an eye on her. I had a hen who went through a long spell of laying thin shelled and / or shell less eggs and it really can take it out of them. As you say, she may have been struggling with the first and then was out of sync for the second.

Keep an eye on her, particularly if she seems out of sorts and with no egg having been laid (this could mean it is still inside her which could possibly turn to peritonitis.

Also make sure she has plenty of oyster shell available. I think some hens are just prone to the thin shell / shell less eggs but it is also possible in these shorter winter days that she could be lacking in vitamin D which helps with calcium absorption. I have heard that a drop of cod liver oil mixed in with their food can help.

How old is your hen?
Helen

Pat4d

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 14:02 »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. She is an Ex Batt and I have had her nearly a year so 2 to 2 1/2 I guess.
They have Oyster shell and grit in seperate pots currently. I will give them another week of poultry spice also just to be sure they are getting all they need.

Cheers,

Pat.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 14:09 »
Also give them access to greens (grass, cabbage) as this helps in the absorbtion of caicium.
As an ex batt she is quite old, probably nearer to 3 than 2 as they lay for 18 months after coming into lay at at least 22 weeks+.
She runs the risk of an egg breaking inside her, so keep an extra eye on her.
BIL warrens lived for about 3-5 years, though not many eggs in last year.

Pat4d

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 14:59 »
Thanks, they free range in the garden all day so they should have plenty of greens and bugs to choose from.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 16:36 »
My ex batts have always laid a lot of soft eggs.  When they are having a particularly difficult time laying they often wont go inside and sometimes they feel quite hot, so I'm assuming they feel more comfortable outside in the fresh air (my run is totally covered so fax proof).  However, I always lift them inside as I have the idea of them being left on their own outside.  If it's the summer, though I put them by the coop door and leave it open for them.

xx
Chicken food and water in or out at night

Started by brookieme on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 07, 2014, 18:45
by andy46
xx
Egg at night

Started by ctayts on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 16:18
by ctayts
xx
NIGHT LIGHTS

Started by desandchez on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 10:07
by desandchez
xx
Night Time

Started by wiggy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 05, 2010, 19:20
by wiggy

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 28 queries.