Chilli growing

• 34 Replies

AndyRVTR

Re: Chilli growing
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 18:02 »
Anyone got any spare Habs seed happy to pay postage :)
[/quote]
No Hab seeds, but got some spare Jalapeno seeds if you want to PM me your name & address, I'll pop them in the post.

agapanthus

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 00:10 »
I think the person on here who has the most chilli expderience is Aidy, but we don't see quite so much of him chatting about chillies lately.

I've been growing chillies for around 7 years.  My first one was an Apache chilli plant that I bought at a local nursery.  It did really well so I decided to save the seeds from one of the chillies to grow my own.

Didn't know anything about F1's at the time, but we learn don't we?  :lol:  The chillies from those plants looked like apaches but were much bigger, but as I don't count myself a connes expert at chilli growing, it didn't matter how they turned out as long as they grew!  ;)

You haven't got any spare Lemon Drop seeds have you Annie....pretty please????  ::) ::) ::)

Like Yana, I don't like my chillies too hot, so am happy with the few varieties I grow, like the cayenne, lemon drop, pretty in purple, can't think of the others at the moment.

I think you got swallowed up there Aggy! lol  I'll have a look to see what I've got, but if I do they will be about 3 years old.  I'm still using the  last lot of seeds from then!   :)

I did wonder about that ::) ::)
xx

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 09:27 »
 :lol: :lol:

Never mind, seeds will be in post Monday or Tuesday!  :)

Ema

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 10:02 »
I've always found chillies a real joy to grow and have had a lot of success with a few plants in the mini greenhouse with the shelves lowered. Will be sowing some today. I've never had much luck wih peppers though but they pack I've tried is fairly old and I should probably throw it out. would love to try a lemon drop chillie plant they sound amazing

compostqueen

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 10:48 »
Lemon drops are easily raised from seed but it does need to be quite fresh. The plants will be smothered with fruits which freeze well  :)  They are fruity and hottish, but not too hot for most palates. Good with rice dishes  :)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 12:58 »
I've always found chillies a real joy to grow and have had a lot of success with a few plants in the mini greenhouse with the shelves lowered. Will be sowing some today. I've never had much luck wih peppers though but they pack I've tried is fairly old and I should probably throw it out. would love to try a lemon drop chillie plant they sound amazing

Ema, perhaps Surbie100 would send you a few lemon drop seeds, she has loads she said.

CQ, my seeds are quite old, well about 3 years old, but they did well last season.  the only thing I noticed, was they are usually the last to ripen.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 13:00 »
Have sent Ema a PM  :)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 13:01 »
Have sent Ema a PM  :)

Oh thanks Surbie, hope you didn't mind me using your name?   ;) ;)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 18:47 »
No, 'course not.  :)

viettaclark

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 23:07 »
Would seed from a frozen chilli from last year germinate?

Sparkyrog

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 23:38 »
Wow sorry I missed these Guys Surbie sent me some Hab seeds . Many thanks to him
I cook therefore I grow

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 23:40 »
Wow sorry I missed these Guys Surbie sent me some Hab seeds . Many thanks to him

or her?  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 09:06 »
Would seed from a frozen chilli from last year germinate?

I doubt it - but why not pop some on a piece of damp kitchen paper towel in a pastic box, put it somewhere warm and see if they germinate - if they do just carefully pot them up ;)

thedigalots

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 09:31 »
Chilli growing is an addiction!

For something that can be so temperamental (well, they are for me) I can't quite fathom it.  Still, once you get those pods growing all that hard work pays off!

I'm currently waiting for this years to germinate, they're all snug and cosy in the propagator at the moment waiting to burst into life (hopefully).

Even the wife seems to turn a blind eye to the grow box I've prepared for this season, it must be because she loved last years chillis so much.  Although I may have been pushing it putting the seed potatoes by the window in the upstairs toilet....

Adrian

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 10:34 »
I had a go at growing chili year before last. It was one of those paper pot things with a bit of compost in with seeds that you buy from supermarkets. No idea what kind they were. Im inspired reading this thread and really want to grow one or two types this year. I'm not into very hot but like a bit of heat, so which seeds would you recommend I try?
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Chilli for growing outside

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 11:58
by compostqueen
xx
Growing chilli's

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 20:01
by hightide
xx
Growing Chilli's

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2013, 11:59
by Willow_Warren

Page created in 0.507 seconds with 39 queries.