The Growsters' blasted hedge reduction...

• 18 Replies

compostqueen

Re: The Growsters' blasted hedge reduction...
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 12:03 »
I've got a proper hedge at home but it was neglected and has areas of decay which need sorting. We're doing it bit by bit and need to learn some hedge laying skills  as it's clear that some has been done.  I had to fight for it recently as my new neighbour wanted to get rid of it and put a fence up. Some folks are just plain wrong aren't they  :nowink:  I love it, it's a living breathing entity, filled with birds, birdsong, buds, pips, seedheads blah blah  :D  I think some folks don't appreciate that and just see something that needs trimming and work  :(

allotmentann

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 17:37 »
I've got a proper hedge at home but it was neglected and has areas of decay which need sorting. We're doing it bit by bit and need to learn some hedge laying skills  as it's clear that some has been done.  I had to fight for it recently as my new neighbour wanted to get rid of it and put a fence up. Some folks are just plain wrong aren't they  :nowink:  I love it, it's a living breathing entity, filled with birds, birdsong, buds, pips, seedheads blah blah  :D  I think some folks don't appreciate that and just see something that needs trimming and work  :(

I must confess I have had to come to 'appreciate' the hedge! I would personally prefer a wall, like I have along the other side of the garden, and although I think that it is 'my' hedge, I know that my very elderly neighbours love it, so I wouldn't dream of upsetting them by removing it. The biggest problem for me is that I have a huge amount of shrubs and they make it very difficult to get near enough to the hedge to cut it.  But I am actually glad that I have it now for the very reasons that you mention and wouldn't choose to get rid of it anymore.  :)

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 19:57 »

So far, I've found four old nests, and we know that the blackbirds get there each year, which is probably why it is such a mess, as we delay the first cut until they've all moved on!

We really want the trimming which you describe to be a pleasure, not a chore, and we can chat with the various neighbours as they pop by...

And also, my arms won't ache for the rest of the week!

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 20:00 »
Ann, just keep in with those sentiments - just for us here eh?

Hedges are beasts when untamed, but marvellous natural growing artifacts when done right, and isn't that why we're all here?

If I could design a runner bean hedge, I would...;0)

Actually, I've always admired espalier tree design, but I reckon they'd all get nicked if we succeeded on the front hedge!

xx
Hedge reduction...

Started by Growster... on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 01, 2013, 10:03
by Growster...
xx
a new hedge !!!!!

Started by wiskerman on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 16:20
by mrs bouquet
xx
A Big Hedge

Started by Glyn on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 20:20
by richyrich7
xx
New box hedge not doing well ..

Started by rookie1 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 18:11
by sion01

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 36 queries.