Irrigation............. Help!!!!!!!!!!

• 8 Replies

KatieRuns

Irrigation............. Help!!!!!!!!!!
« on: February 03, 2013, 20:13 »
This is my third year on the allotment.......

Pic attached of the plan so you can see the type of plot etc etc

There is a small brook that runs across the back behind the shed and I have a water tank at the side of the shed.

I have spent the last 2 years walking up the allotment 10+ times a day with two cans at a time when it gets hot and want to install an easier solution this time.......

Any views on a system like this or am I better off with a homemade system?!

Linky

Grew up on an allotment and had one for three years now but still think of myself as a novice there is soooo much to learn!  

Thanks in advance :-)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 21:29 by Yorkie »

savbo

Re: Irrigation............. Help!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 15:26 »
I am not at all sure this system would give you the flexibility you want. Much simpler would be to put one or more water butts further down the plot and connect them with ordinary hose in a siphon system...then you can fill up at the nearest butt, and also have a lot more storage as a whole. I have 5 water butts with 3 on siphons and it works great

sav

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 15:57 »
I have power so have IBC tanks that I can catch rain in at sheds and also soem others I pump water too and then trickle from onto garden by hose. Do you have power -- if not I am told there are rechargeable pumps on the market so you could distribute water from your tank or from a sump fed by the brook. You would then have to take pump home to charge up.
R

KatieRuns

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 19:09 »
I am not at all sure this system would give you the flexibility you want. Much simpler would be to put one or more water butts further down the plot and connect them with ordinary hose in a siphon system...then you can fill up at the nearest butt, and also have a lot more storage as a whole. I have 5 water butts with 3 on siphons and it works great

sav

thanks I think that would work, the tank feeds down directly from the shed as well as collecting rainwater so there's a lot without pumping from the lake, it just means sacrificing plot space for water butts as apart from the grass for the dogs everythings used!  probably interject the flower border it doesn't really serve a purpose apart from attracting bees

Thanks again guys, unfortunately no power though will look in to the rechargeable pump .

x

conteasy

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 17:10 »
You might look into solar pumps - or a solar panel on a shed roof to trickle feed an array of batteries for a pump?

savbo

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 12:42 »
I am still sticking to my siphon recommendation...no moving parts to go wrong!

sav

SkyeEnt

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 23:33 »
I tried to make a leaky hose system for my polytunnel last year (needs more watering because doesn't rain inside (much!)).  I used a small punch to make holes either side of an old hose pipe which I can connect direct to a hose syphoning over from the burn (I live on a hill so the geometry works).  It was nowhere near as straightforwards as I'd expected :unsure:.  In some places the water pulsed out in little spurts and in others nothing came out at all despite the holes apparently being on the down side.  I'm going to try again this year with more holes around the circumference of the hose.  The advantage is that it hasn't cost me anything more than the cost of a few hose connectors (I was given some old hose that someone didn't want anymore) and it does at least water some of the ground without me having to go backwards and forwards so can get on with something else, but it is indescriminate.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 00:17 »
I'm a 2 cans girl myself.

Had a hosepipe for a while but I do like to water with a can. I bought a drip feeder for the greenhouse called 'Big Drippa' - it's too small for a plot but I suppose the principle is the same.
 :) 

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 18:52 »
ive always liked the idea of plastic pipe, set under the surface, with a snorkel type piece coming up from underground, put  a funnel in that and water direct to under the surface.  i use that method with growbags for tomatoes, and often wonder if it would be succesful for beans and sweetcorn

xx
Irrigation

Started by Griffo on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 15:00
by GreenOwl
xx
Irrigation of a raised bed

Started by JCloth on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 15:57
by Trillium
xx
auto irrigation system

Started by drmoonshine on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 21:28
by Doddy
xx
I'm asking about the best irrigation system for a Huge Vegetable Garden

Started by Ruyboy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 08:16
by corndolly

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 37 queries.