Greenfly Prevention

• 7 Replies

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
Greenfly Prevention
« on: January 30, 2013, 12:40 »
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has some tips on preventing greenfly from returning?  My peppers were heavily infested last year and although I got a good crop, it was such a hassel keeping on top of them!  I sowed some herbs and a chilli seeds recently (same location) and I've noticed that within the plastic bags I put over their pots for germination, there are several midges flying around.  I guess these are from leftover eggs/larvae from the Aphidoletes I used last year in my battle with greenfly but I find it worrying that if they can return so easily, surely the greenfly will too?

I disposed of last years pepper plants, will wash the pots I intend to re-use and I washed down the area the plants were growing but is this going to stop them returning?  Atleast I am better prepared this year so should manage to keep on top of them better but if there are any methods of avoiding greenfly I would appreciate the help.  I believe it was a cheap, nearly dead tom plant I picked up from morrisons that infected them last year so I'll be quarantining any future ones I buy for sure!

Cheers,
Damian
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:49 by mumofstig »
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

lettice

Re: Greenfly Prevention
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 13:38 »
I only ever get greenfly on my broad beans.
I usually wipe them off by hand with some cotton wool, as they stick to it when you wipe.
I have tried the washing up liquid and garlic spray methods but they do not seem to work too well.
I do not get too much of an attack, but wiping off regularly seems to work.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 13:43 »
Thanks Lettice (and MoS for correcting my post  :unsure:), I didn't use cotton wool last year but will give it a go this year.  Will save getting greenfly goo all over my hands and might speed up the process too.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:50 »
I too had to wage continual war on my peppers. Unfortunately I was growing them indoors and the greenfly have decided to take up residence in my Yukka plants. They hide right at the base of the new leaves and are incredibly difficult/impossible to get to. I have always said how clever they are.   I have taken to filling the space with dilute washing up liquid on a regular basis but are still finding some live ones

>:( >:(  >:(

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 14:15 »
And your not wrong about them being clever according to a news report I read today - http://phys.org/news/2013-02-aerial-maneuvers-pea-aphid.html

It's making me think of ways to kill them using this natural instinct.  I'm considering using something to collect them after they fall or even drown them.  May need to design a pot that shelters the soil from falling aphids, maybe growing the plant through the top of a bottle with some air vents on the side.  If anyone has other ideas let me know as anything to avoid or make keeping on top of them easier will save a lot of time.

lettice

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 14:43 »
And your not wrong about them being clever according to a news report I read today - http://phys.org/news/2013-02-aerial-maneuvers-pea-aphid.html

It's making me think of ways to kill them using this natural instinct.  I'm considering using something to collect them after they fall or even drown them.  May need to design a pot that shelters the soil from falling aphids, maybe growing the plant through the top of a bottle with some air vents on the side.  If anyone has other ideas let me know as anything to avoid or make keeping on top of them easier will save a lot of time.

A good shake of the plant and a washing up bowl full of water underneath. Im going to try that. The more you get rid of the better.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:47 »
A good shake of the plant and a washing up bowl full of water underneath. Im going to try that. The more you get rid of the better.

The trouble is that it only takes one to tango!

Stewpot

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 12:18 »
I grow 5 differant varieties of sweet pepper in my cold greenhouse. The best way that i have found is that three times a week i check them for greenfly and red spider mite, i then clean all of these off with a fine spray of water/mist. This if done regular will keep off red spider mite & deter greenfly it also helps the fruit to set.

xx
Like greenfly but red?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 11:22
by azubah
xx
greenfly everywhere!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 03, 2009, 19:20
by mumofstig
xx
Greenfly

Started by blackhobbescat on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 19, 2007, 09:38
by Scribbler
xx
b and q greenfly

Started by mrpotatohead on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 18:07
by mrpotatohead

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 36 queries.