no dig

• 46 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: no dig
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 09:31 »
I don't  use a spade except when planting potatoes - but compost (sometimes manure)gets forked into the top few inches -  does this count as digging?  :unsure:

I don't care what people do with their plots - I guess it depends on your soil and your back :D as long as people and plants are happy is doesn't matter does it!

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 09:54 »
...as long as people and plants are happy is doesn't matter does it!

That's the important bit. As long as the plants are happy so am I, not sure they're bothered about the other way around though. :D

Growster...

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 11:59 »
Funnily enough, I still can't decide whether to dig or not...

I wouldn't mind getting a light power tiller though, like a Mantis, as that would take away the job I like least, which is the intermediate 'knocking down', before raking to a tilth. I find that hurts the old back more than anything, even with a trusty Growstada,,,:0)

If I had a choice, I'd probably come down on the side of a definite maybe...;0)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 12:13 »
Growster - here's hoping your fence is pointless (not your posts, of course)  :lol:

Stewpot

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 13:06 »
No digging plots in my himble opinion, is for people that don't like work!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 13:20 »
That's a rather narow minded attitude.  Lots of us, me included, have physical problems that mean digging is out of the question.  I suggest you engage your brain before putting digits to keyboard. >:(
Cheese makes everything better.

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 13:44 »
That's a rather narow minded attitude.  Lots of us, me included, have physical problems that mean digging is out of the question.  I suggest you engage your brain before putting digits to keyboard. >:(

Couldn't agree more Ice! I have a long standing back problem which is mostly ok, but digging in the traditional way would cause me problems. I am the only bread winner in my house. I cannot afford to be off work. So it's a no brainier for me.
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

Growster...

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 13:45 »
Growster - here's hoping your fence is pointless (not your posts, of course)  :lol:

Nice one, Mums!

And only half an hour ago, Mrs G and I decided that we would lower the pyracantha hedge behind The Turrets a foot or so...

Ouch...:0)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 13:47 »
very ouch indeed   :ohmy:

Agatha

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 13:51 »
I do part dig, part no-dig.  Soil is very heavy clay with lots of perennial weeds (the previous people used to rotovate every year, so have 'propagated' lots of thistles, docks, nettles etc for me!) but as I gradually get areas of the plot less compacted and more weed-free I am moving those areas over to no-dig.  Partly because the plot gets waterlogged very easily and there simply isn't enough time to dig over the whole plot in the small windows of time when the soil is workable, but also I do think it is better for the soil structure, worm count etc.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Gwiz

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 14:49 »
No dig for me also.
Two damaged discs one either side of the same vertebrae.

Trillium

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 15:15 »
I'm the same - thinning discs in lower back force me to be careful in what I do, so it's no dig for me as well. Even better is that no dig works better for me - almost no weeding, no watering in our very dry summers, and the worms are thankful.

But you can't just plant into any old unprepared soil. I use the Eden method of very heavy mulch over a layer of manure and compost, and also have 2 ft high raised beds in other areas that are also heavily mulched.

Here's an interesting video: LINK

RichardA

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 15:18 »
Can I ask -- does the massive use of compost and manure and especially wood chip make the soil increasingly acidic year after year ???

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 16:08 »

Not a very bright post. Many no dig growing systems have been shown to work just aswell if not better than traditional methods. Double and deep digging is unnecessary after the first year for most types of soil and even on heavy clay no dig systems are possible. I am 25 years old, 6ft tall, 15 stones in weight. I play football and cricket at weekends and have a very active lifestyle. Yet I dont deep dig my established beds because it will be counter-productive to what I am trying to achieve and totally unnecessary

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 16:34 »
Can I ask -- does the massive use of compost and manure and especially wood chip make the soil increasingly acidic year after year ???

Compost and rotted manure should be reasonably neutral - organic acids are produced during the rotting down process but are then in turn broken down (so wood-chip and other unrotted materials would have a temporary acidifying effect.)

The main cause of acid soils is simply a lack of lime in them.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 38 queries.