cAnAry53

no dig
« on: January 25, 2013, 17:52 »
anybody tried the no dig growing method and how did it work out

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: no dig
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 18:14 »
I'd be interested to hear how people have got on with it. I am thinking of going down the no-dig route for half my plot. I'm currently using a fair bit of cardboard as a repressing mulch on the 'paths' around my raspberries - seems to be working but its small scale and isn't really addressing other benefits that people mention with regard to no-dig.
I hear the worms like no-dig...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 18:36 »
If you do a search on "lasagne" in the GYO forum only, (use the advanced search), you'll find a lot of past threads on that particular method.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 18:41 »
If you check out my diary, I show you how my husband and I tackled our plot (and new plot this year) using lasagne beds and predominantly no dig methods.  The link to my diary is in my signature below.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 19:06 »
Now that my plot is cleared I have no intention of digging it again, the more that I read, the more I think that this method makes sense :) Bod Flowerdew's books are very interesting reading and it seems that he does not do much digging.

Christine

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 19:15 »
Wish the idea worked on brick making clay. Seems I have the one sort of allotment soil where using a spade is necessary.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 19:36 »
Indeed - I used to have one like that years ago  ::) Very fertile, but a lot of work.

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 20:43 »
My soil was heavy and clay-based but after the initial digging for a few years to get rid of stones, perennial weeds, etc. I gave up on the idea. This will be my fifth year of no-dig and my soil is now in wonderful condition but I must  emphasise that you need an almost limitless supply of organic matter for it to work well. I make tons of compost and leaf mould and also add some animal manure and seaweed. Many people make the mistake of thinking no-dig = no-work. Believe me it doesn't.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 22:07 »
Many people make the mistake of thinking no-dig = no-work. Believe me it doesn't.

My point has always been you either work with a spade/fork or a wheelbarrow - nothing is ever effortless  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 22:15 »
Other reasons aside, I find digging very therapeutic and good exercise, and I love seeing the birds eat the snail/slug eggs that I've just brought to the surface!

I do appreciate that for some, less digging is better for them.

allotmentann

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 23:18 »
I love digging too, I will need to find some weedy and over grown plots to work on! It is therapeutic, I agree. And it is very true that you need loads of organic matter. There is definitely work whatever you do. :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 23:48 »
I'm with the diggers too. I'm a bit slow, because I'm unfit and chubby, but I do enjoy it.

My soil is on a thick pan of clay and has been put on a strict, organic improvement programme!  :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 23:52 »
I don't dig, don't rotovate either.  My soil is clay but it's fine for not being knocked about  :)

I do make an awful lot of compost but I think every grower should do so irrespective of whether they dig or not  :)

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 08:47 »
For me it is actually defining 'no-dig'. I don't think you can work a plot without ever turning the soil through the action of harvesting, weeding etc. I believe the 'no dig' refers to no longer double digging which has been shown to be not good for the overall soil structure.

Once I had thoroughly dug over my plot to remove as many of the weeds as possible, I started covering with a thick manure mulch in the Autumn and fork in what is left in spring as I plant. Any non mulched areas get weed suppressing membrane over them until planting / sowing time. The only digging as such thereafter is to harvest crops such as spuds etc

My soil has improved beyond all recognition now.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Ema

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 08:50 »
Im thinking of trying a few no dig beds this year don't think I will have chance to dig the whole 10*15 meter plot in time for sowing.

I was tryin to think of a lazy method for growing spuds I've allocated them 1/4 or the plot this year. The plot currently looks like a lawn with a few plantains growing. I don't really want to buy loads of weed matting.

Page created in 0.649 seconds with 38 queries.