Red Alert Spot - Snow

• 12 Replies

Prod

Red Alert Spot - Snow
« on: January 18, 2013, 10:34 »
If you have seen the news and weather we are situated right in the middle of the Red Alert Zone high up in the Brecon Hills. I went to the field to let the girls out at 8 this morning braving 3 ft snowdrifts. Two had come out of the coop and I could just about see the tops of their heads!!! but the others were firmly ensconced in the ccop. I cleared a path around the coop and to the back of the shed where I have built a shelter for them. I felt so sorry for them I have opened the shed and put plent of food (corn too) and water(with tonic) inside with some hessian sacking and straw.  By the time I had done that and was making my way back my foot prints had disapeared!!!! Sat here now looking out of the window and it is snowing thickly with a blizzard and  drifts up to 4ft against the wall and hedges. We live very high up about 12 miles from Brecon, no street lights, mobile phone reception, terrestial TV. I love it!!! Everything is quiet and white. Hope everyone else & their chucks are OK too..... ::) ::)

snowdrops

Re: Red Alert Spot - Snow
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:27 »
Will you be able to get back to them?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Prod

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 11:48 »
Hi Snowdrops  The entrance to the field is about 30yds down the lane, there are no footpaths etc  but the access is good  so Im sure I will be ok  I will check on them in an hour or so and will keep you updated :wub: Thanks for your concern

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 11:59 »
I am down in Cardiff, probably only 35 miles or so away from you prod but I'm afraid our 'drifts' are only inches high - can't compare with yours!

Went out to see my 3 girls first thing but they absolutely hate this weather and there were plenty of cackles of discontent. Luckily they have a covered run with a boarded up section which gives them a lot of shelter & I guess that is where they will stay!

You are right about the 'quiet', it is amazing what a difference it makes. What I am not looking forward to is it all freezing over tonight....
Helen

olde9856

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:11 »
Im down near Hay at the other side of the Brecons and we have about 4" in the valley but apparently most roads over the tops are shut. Kept the hens in today with plenty of food and water but let out the ducks and they are having a wonderful time actually bathing in the snow.

Prod

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 14:39 »
It stopped snowing for an hour or so and so I went to check on them. All hudled inside the shelter except for Sugar who is a bit braver.  They seem Ok  just a bit miserable, they certainly dont like the snow, mind you it is very deep!!!
Snowy Days 011.JPG

splash101

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 15:19 »
my 4 light sussex are the only chickens i've had that dont mind the snow, maybe they feel camouflaged.
It makes them look a bit dirty though and their poor feet look a bit pink, or maybe thats their normal colour without the mud  :happy:
We've had more than we normally get, we dont get much where we are but i shall be thinking of everyone who are having problems.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 17:27 »
We had around 7" earlier on in the week which is still here.  The hens are not keep and stick to their roofed walk in run.  They turkeys just frolic around in it all day and have to be chased back in their turkey shed for the night.   ::) :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Goldfinger

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 17:32 »

Ours have gone soft! They just refuse point blank to venture out since this bad weather's started.  ::)

Prod

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 19:21 »
I went down at 4.30 tolock them up  but they were all in the shelter and wouldnt come out even for more corn. I had to carry them one at a time!!!  Ive plenty extra straw in the coop so they should be warm tonight.  I collected 3 eggs  but dropped one in teh snow and couldnt find it!!!!  Fun int it?? :D :D
Snowy Days 006.JPG
Snowy Days 005.JPG

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 20:13 »
They looked happy where they were.  Three of mine roost on the roof beams of their walk in run.  I gave up lifting them down to put them in the coop each night.   :lol:

Prod

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 21:46 »
What, even in this weather??? ???

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 17:29 »
Yes we have had -8 degrees this week and 3 bantams are in the rafters.   ::)  Dotty is sitting on eggs otherwise she would be up there with the others.  They don't even huddle together so they must be warm enough.

xx
One spot

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 25, 2008, 22:53
by Aunt Sally
xx
spot on

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 18:27
by andy46
xx
Spot the Broody.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 02:59
by Trillium
xx
frontline vs spot on

Started by shetan on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 17:54
by shetan

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 29 queries.